Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: DICTIONARY MEANING OF "APOSTLE"  (Read 3493 times)
TARIQ

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »

"As-Salaam-O-Alai-Kum"

Since long I am in receipt of your Daily-Hadith but I am a bit confused by several Hadith which contains the word "APOSTLE".

As per my little knowledge this word is been used in several "OLD TESTIMENT" (GOSPELS) which means "A MAN SENT OUT TO PREACH A GOSPEL IN THE EARLY CRISTIAN CHURCH", for example "MATTHEW & MARK WERE APOSTLES"

I will really appreciate if you revert back with an appropriate answer that we can use this word "APOSTLES" in Islamic-Hadith.
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:24:23 AM »

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

وعليكم السللام ورحمة الله وبركاته

An apostle is a (religious) messenger and ambassador.

Rasul, Islamic prophet or messenger, sometimes translated "apostle"

source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostle

(question has been moved to "Ask a Question" section)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:26:10 AM by mabdullah » Logged
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

And in Allâh (Alone) let believers put their trust

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:57:38 AM »

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

You're right to think that one of the meanings of the word "Apostle" is linked to Christianity, but:

Here are some definitions from Merriam - Webster Dictionary:

Definition of APOSTLE

1. one sent on a mission

2. a : a person who initiates a great moral reform or who first advocates an important belief or system
    b : an ardent supporter : adherent

So i suppose they mean these definitions not those related to 12 Apostles in Christianity etc.

Also in Wikipedia this is what you'll find:

Terminology

The word "apostle" has two meanings, the broader meaning of a messenger and the narrow meaning of an early apostle directly linked to Jesus Christ. The more general meaning of the word is translated into Latin as 'missio', and from this word we get 'missionary.'

The word apostle comes from the Greek word ἀπόστολος (apostolos). The Friberg Greek Lexicon gives a broad definition as one who is sent on a mission, a commissioned representative of a congregation, a messenger for God, a person who has the special task of founding and establishing churches. The UBS Greek Dictionary also describes an apostle broadly as a messenger. The Louw-Nida Lexicon gives a very narrow definition of a special messenger, generally restricted to the immediate followers of Jesus, or extended to some others like Paul or other early Christians active in proclaiming the gospel.

والله أعلم

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:02:49 AM by tasneem » Logged

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then, I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. Qur'an (2:186)
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 03:52:31 AM »

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

It might be better to use term "Rasul" even when translating in English.

Many words are not translated correctly or have different background other than Islam.

For example Quran has many beautiful names but still commonly called "Holy" Quran, althoug word "Holy Quran" is not used in Quran or Hadith. 

In English word "holy"  is used with different background such as holy father, book, ghost, spirit etc

Allah Azza wa Jall has told us at least 99 of His names and attributes but Urdu and Hindi speaking Muslims still call Allah "Khuda".

Although is not completely incorrect translation but indicates carelessness that Muslims inspite of being capable of speaking simple Arabic word such as Allah,  still keep using word Khuda.

This also highlights the need to learn Arabic by all muslims and reponsiblity of Muslims to encourage their children learning Arabic from early childhood when they have extensive learning capabilties.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:50:39 PM by mabdullah » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: