Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Pets and Alcohol  (Read 11622 times)
Yan

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:58:41 PM »

A couple of the Daily Hadith e-mails recently received have me wondering.

This bothers me due to my love for pets.  I have one dog who is like a child to me, even though she is many years old.  I also think almost any dog could be called a watch dog.  I started to wonder whether Muslims do not actually go by certain things written, as Christians do not.

---
Hunting & Slaughtering - 1st Rajab 1432 (3rd June 2011)

Narrated Ibn 'Umar (Radi-Allahu 'anhu):

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam) said, "Whoever keeps a (pet) dog
which is neither a watch dog nor a hunting dog, will get a daily deduction
of two Qirat from his good deeds."

Bukhari Vol. 7 : No. 389

Now this one sounds as though it is a bad thing to be deprived of alcoholic beverages in the Hereafter, and it is a reward to be able to have them.  I find it refreshing in Islam that alcohol is forbidden, because other religions are not that way - and I don't find anything particularly good about drinking alcohol.
---
Drinks - 11th Rajab 1432 (13th June 2011)

Narrated Ibn 'Umar (Radi-Allahu 'anhu):

Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam) said, "Whoever drinks
alcoholic drinks in the world and does not repent (before dying), will be
deprived of it in the Hereafter."

Bukhari Vol. 7 : No. 481

~Yan~
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 02:05:02 PM »

A couple of the Daily Hadith e-mails recently received have me wondering.

This bothers me due to my love for pets.  I have one dog who is like a child to me, even though she is many years old.  I also think almost any dog could be called a watch dog.  I started to wonder whether Muslims do not actually go by certain things written, as Christians do not.

In Islam watch dog and hunting dogs are allowed to keep.

"Bukhari and Muslim related Messenger of God (sallallahu `alayhi wa sallam) sent Mu`adh to the Yemen he told him, "You are going to a people who have a Scripture,

so call them to testify that there is no deity but God, and that I am the Messenger of God.

If they respond to this, then teach them that God has imposed five Salats (prayers) upon them in every day.

If they respond to this, then teach them that God has imposed upon them a charity to be taken from the wealthy amongst them and given to their poor."

According to this hadith first thing is the call  " to testify that there is no deity but God, and that Prophet Muhammad is the Messenger of God" then hopefully God makes rest of things easy.

I find it refreshing in Islam that alcohol is forbidden

Aims of God's guidance or Shariah are ;

1.   Protection of Faith (Din)
2.   Protection of Life (Nafs)
3.   Protection of Posterity (Nasl)
4.   Protection of Property (Mal)
5.   Protection of Reason ('Aql)

These are the objectives which are must and basic for the establishment of welfare in this world and the world hereafter in the sense that if they are f ignored then the coherence and order cannot be established and fasad (chaos and disorder) will prevail in this world and there will be obvious loss (al-khursan al-mubin) in the world hereafter.

As alcohal clouds human mind and reason, so God has forbidden alcohal to protect human intelect, mind and reason.

I started to wonder whether Muslims do not actually go by certain things written, as Christians do not.

What God has revealed is only due to His Mercy to guide human being to return to Him and His Paradise safe and sound, it is then up to human being to accept or reject the offer which is open only for short period of time i.e our life in this world..

Many Muslims may not act on what is written either due to lack of knowledge, or rejecting the guidance. But reassuring thing is that actual guidance is preserved by Mercy of God in form of Quran and Sunnah and is open to everyone, it is then up to human being ( including muslim), to search the truth and act on it.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 02:17:42 PM by mabdullah » Logged
Yan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 02:26:23 PM »

Does that mean that good devout Muslims do not have pet dogs?

~Yan~
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:55:46 PM »

Does that mean that good devout Muslims do not have pet dogs?

Yes this is true, a good devout Muslims should not have a pet dog. (Many other pets are allowed such as cat etc).

According to a Prophetic narration if someone leaves somthing for sake of God then God will replace it with something better.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:58:40 PM by mabdullah » Logged
Yan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 04:58:13 PM »

That's really interesting.  I've never heard of anything like that.

~Yan~
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »

That's really interesting.  I've never heard of anything like that.

About pets or the Prophetic narration?
Yan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »

Until I read the hadith, I never heard of a religion considering dogs as pets a bad thing, something to get demerits for having.  I don't understand why this would be.  It's a very foreign notion to me.

~Yan~
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 05:16:19 PM »

All the Muslim has to do is to respond to what his Lord has enjoined him to do or forbidden him. He should know for certain that He does not prescribe anything unless it is for a reason.

Some shar’i rulings are purely the matter of worship, and we do not know the wisdom behind them and the reason of some is rationally understood.

There is nothing to prevent us seeking the wisdom behind rulings, but the Muslim should still heed the commands of Allaah.  Among the negative consequences of keeping them are the diseases that they can cause and that are transmitted via them, whether it is from a vessel from which the dog has drunk, or in its faeces with which the house in which it is kept is contaminated.

Yan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »

I do like to understand the reasoning.  I know people have different opinions, but I have always heard and believed that cats are much more disease-carrying than dogs.  Maybe it's cultural, but cats don't have as positive a connotation as dogs, sanitation aside.  One negative thing that is heard about dogs nearly constantly is that they attack innocent people and other animals.  This happens regularly where I live.  This is because a certain type of person prefers vicious dogs, and gets that type of animal on purpose.  It's a real problem, but I don't think it should mean that people without those intentions shouldn't have pet dogs.

I've been in agreement that one should heed the commands of Allah, even when not understood, but the trouble with this is that I have understanding that conflicts.  I think that's not good or even acceptable should I wish to convert to Islam.  It reminds me of the politician John Kerry, who was a Catholic but said he would not try to prevent abortion through his political position.  He said it was okay for others.  I thought that if he felt that way, he should not be a Catholic.  Nobody is forced to be a Catholic, but to be one and to say that abortion is okay in any way is hypocrisy.  It was for that reason I could not vote for the man.  I don't wish to be like him.

~Yan~
Yan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2011, 10:35:05 PM »

I just found this - http://www.submission.org/pets/dogs2.html - Do you consider that a reliable website?  I just now started researching this online.

~Yan~
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 12:37:18 AM »

I just found this .... Do you consider that a reliable website?  I just now started researching this online.

On going briefly through , most information on this site is contradictory to Islam, It appears that site is made to reject and contradict Islam and its teaching.

Dog mentioned in the above site is from Surah Kahf (number 18 in Quran) and it is also Verse number 18 as below;

“and their dog stretching forth his two forelegs at the entrance [of the Cave or in the space near to the entrance of the Cave (as a guard at the gate)]. Had you looked at them, you would certainly have turned back from them in flight, and would certainly have been filled with awe of them.”

It is obvious from description that it was a guard dog.

People of scripture used to ask Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) to tell about certain event of the past, about which no one except their scholars had knowledge, to test if He was a Prophet. This Surah was revealed in response to their questions.

God created human being to obey Him, and He created everything else around  including sun, moon and animals to serve human being. He has guided that dog is suitable for hunting and security purposes.  

This does not mean that God or Islam has anything against dog. Dog has its role to play in service of human being.

UmmOmar
Global Moderator

And in Allâh (Alone) let believers put their trust

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 12:30:22 AM »

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Sub7an ALLAH what the Prophet (صلى الله عليه و سلم) said about dogs more than a thousand years ago proved to be true now, when the recent studies finally showed that the dogs saliva is not sanitizing at all and quite on the contrary.

From the hadith:
Hammam b. Munabbih reported: Of the a hadith narrated by Abu Huraira from Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him), one is this: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: The purification of the utensil belonging to one amongst you, after it is licked by a dog, lies in washing it seven times. (The Book of Purification (Kitab Al-Taharah) , Muslim :: Book 2 : Hadith 550 )

Islam does not enjoin anything but that which is good for people, and it does not forbid them anything but that which is harmful to them. But this wisdom is known to those who know it and it is unknown to those who do not know it. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) enjoined washing vessels that have been licked by a dog, and that is only because its saliva is impure. Modern science has proven that there are several harmful things in water from which a dog has drunk. The Muslim who follows the command of sharee’ah has no choice but to obey the command, and refrain from that which is forbidden, even if he does not know the reason behind it and there is nothing wrong with trying to find out the reason behind it, but he should not make his compliance dependent upon knowing the reason.

Now, if you read about dogs even on non-Islamic sites you'll find the following info:

One of the myths about dogs is that 'Dog saliva is antiseptic. Dog saliva was once believed to be antiseptic, and some people still believe it has healing properties. Though it can kill some bacteria, dog saliva contains its own exotic bacteria that can cause serious infections, especially in people whose immune systems are weak.'

The rulings in Islam are clear and don't carry anything harmful for people even if we don't understand the reason behind it and be sure that one day you might know why it was forbidden, just like they the modern researches only recently showing the exact results of what ALLAH (سبحانه و تعالى) has prohibited or ordained thousand of years ago. wa ALLAHu musta`an

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then, I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. Qur'an (2:186)
Yan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:11:04 AM »

Actually, I don't see having dogs as being forbidden, since the divine compensation for doing so was mentioned.  I agree that dogs have germs specific to dogs.  I would not eat off of a fork that my dog licked without washing it, and I avoid human and other animal germs as well.  I do think it's not a good thing, though, to penalize those who have dogs.  In fact, I find it impossible to believe that such a notion would come from Allah.  It makes me think that the prophet did not like dogs.

I read something that having dogs in the home makes the home smell like the animal, and then the environment is not ideal for prayer.  I do understand that, as well.  It makes some kind of sense.  What doesn't make sense is to receive divine demerit for having dogs.  Especially if cats are deemed superior.  It could be said that cats are filthy.  Pregnant women are not to change cat litter (and cats are often allowed to defecate indoors) because of toxoplasmosis, and cats carry filth on their claws.  They are associated with feline leukemia, and who knows what can be transmitted to humans from them?  I don't dislike cats, though I don't have one.  I like them and considered getting one, but my husband does not like the idea of bringing that brand of filth in our home.

To me, the natural hygiene of animals is not the issue.  The issue is the love and bond between humans and (especially pet) animals.  I've never met a dog that would not protect its owner.  Even a feeble dog would try, if something came up.

~Yan~
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 06:10:19 AM »

In fact, I find it impossible to believe that such a notion would come from Allah.  It makes me think that the prophet did not like dogs.

The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was commanded to convey that which Allaah revealed to him, without adding anything or taking anything away.

It is impossible for the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to tell lies about Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning below the Arabic text):

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

وَلَوۡ تَقَوَّلَ عَلَيۡنَا بَعۡضَ ٱلۡأَقَاوِيلِ (٤٤) لَأَخَذۡنَا مِنۡهُ بِٱلۡيَمِينِ (٤٥) ثُمَّ لَقَطَعۡنَا مِنۡهُ ٱلۡوَتِينَ (٤٦) فَمَا مِنكُم مِّنۡ أَحَدٍ عَنۡهُ حَـٰجِزِينَ

“And if he (Muhammad) had forged a false saying concerning Us (Allaah),

We surely would have seized him by his right hand (or with power and might),

And then We certainly would have cut off his life artery (aorta),

And none of you could have withheld Us from (punishing) him”

[al-Haaqqah :44-47]

« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:16:42 PM by mabdullah » Logged
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

And in Allâh (Alone) let believers put their trust

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »

First, as brother Abdullah has mentioned Rasoul ALLAH (صلى الله عليه و سلم) never talked from his own:

ALLAH Ta`ala says what means:

53:2. Your companion (Muhammad SAW) has neither gone astray nor has erred.
53:3. Nor does he speak of (his own) desire.

Second, we should understand that there are many things which we don't know about and the modern science hasn't discovered it yet, but it's all known to ALLAH (سبحانه و تعالى  ) so if He tells us to abstain from anything, then it's surely better for us to do so. ALLAH Ta`la says what means:

24:54. Say: "Obey Allâh and obey the Messenger, but if you turn away, he (Messenger Muhammad SAW) is only responsible for the duty placed on him (i.e. to convey Allâh's Message) and you for that placed on you. If you obey him, you shall be on the right guidance. The Messenger's duty is only to convey (the message) in a clear way (i.e. to preach in a plain way)."

4:59. O you who believe! Obey Allâh and obey the Messenger (Muhammad SAW), and those of you (Muslims) who are in authority. (And) if you differ in anything amongst yourselves, refer it to Allâh and His Messenger (SAW), if you believe in Allâh and in the Last Day. That is better and more suitable for final determination. 

Besides nobody told you to hate dogs, on the contrary, there's a hadith which says:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "While a man was walking he felt thirsty and went down a well and drank water from it. On coming out of it, he saw a dog panting and eating mud because of excessive thirst. The man said, 'This (dog) is suffering from the same problem as that of mine. So he (went down the well), filled his shoe with water, caught hold of it with his teeth and climbed up and watered the dog. Allah thanked him for his (good) deed and forgave him." The people asked, "O Allah's Apostle! Is there a reward for us in serving (the) animals?" He replied, "Yes, there is a reward for serving any animate."
(Distribution of Water  Bukhari :: Book 3 :: Volume 40 :: Hadith 551 )

So we should not argue about matters which are clear:

57:7 .....And whatsoever the Messenger (Muhammad SAW) gives you, take it, and whatsoever he forbids you, abstain (from it) , and fear Allâh. Verily, Allâh is Severe in punishment.

Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "Whoever keeps a dog, one Qirat of the reward of his good deeds is deducted daily, unless the dog is used for guarding a farm or cattle." Abu Huraira (in another narration) said from the Prophet, "unless it is used for guarding sheep or farms, or for hunting." Narrated Abu Hazim from Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, "A dog for guarding cattle or for hunting." (Agriculture  Bukhari :: Book 3 :: Volume 39 :: Hadith 515 )

and ALLAH knows best

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then, I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. Qur'an (2:186)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: