Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Stories Of The Qur'an  (Read 15856 times)
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: May 22, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Stories Of The Qur'an

Ibn Kathir

BIOGRAPHY OF IBN Kathir (700 -774 A.H.) May Allah bless his soul

`Imad Ad-Deen Isma`il Ibn `Umar IbnKatheer Al-Basri Ad-Dimashqi was born in 700 A.H., or shortly afterwards. After the decease of his father, Ibn Kathir, aged seven then, headed for Damascus, accompanied by his elder brother. He owed much of his learning to Ibn Ashginah, Al-Amadi, Ibn `Asakir and others, may Allah be pleased with them all. He immensely revered Ibn Taimiyah, may Allah bless his soul, whose views he believed, defended and mostly abided by.

Ibn Kathir was widely acclaimed for the sublime degree of learning that he so admirably attained. Scholars have unanimously attested to his wellversedness, particularly in the fields of the exegesis of the Glorious Qur'an, Hadith and history. Ibn Habeeb describes him as "the leader of all men engaged in the exegesis (of the Qur'an). He amassed and categorized all (the knowledge) he heard. People marveled at his fatwas and benefited from his teachings. His fatwas grew widely popular all across the country. He was renowned for his precision and was proclaimed as the beacon of history, Hadith and exegesis (of the Qur'an)." Ibn Hijji, one of his students, owed: "Of all our contemporaries, he (Ibn Kathir) was the best at memorizing authentic Hadiths and the most knowledgeable as to assessing the degree of reliability and honesty of Hadithnarrators as well as authentic and non-authentic Hadiths. His comrades and mentors acknowledge every word of the above. I would frequently visit him, and every time I was in his company I benefited from him."

Ibn Kathir lost his eyesight shortly before he died in 774 A. H.

Among his best-known works is his masterpiece in history Al-Bidayah wan-Nihayah (The Beginning and the End) .He also interpreted part of Al Bukhari's Sahih (book of authentic Hadiths). By and large, Ibn Kathir's admirable knowledge and well-versedness are best manifested to whoever reads his two best celebrated masterpieces; his interpretation and his book of history.

(some of the stories from the Stories Of The Qur'an will be posted below)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:59:37 AM by mabdullah » Logged
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47:34 AM »

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Story of Luqman

Allah the Almighty says:

{And indeed We bestowed upon Luqman Al-Hikmah (wisdom and religious understanding) saying: "Give thanks to Allah."And whoever gives thanks, he gives thanks for (the good of) his own self. And whoever is unthankful, then verily, Allah is All-Rich (Free of all needs), Worthy of all praise. And (remember) when Luqman said to his son when he was advising him: "O my son! Join not in worship others with Allah. Verily, joining others in worship with Allah is a great Zulm (wrong) indeed. And We have enjoined on man (to be dutiful and good) to his parents. His mother bore him in weakness and hardship upon weakness and hardship, and his weaning is in two years -give thanks to Me and to our parents. Unto Me is the final destination. But if they (both) strive with you to make you join in worship with Me others that of which you have no knowledge, then obey them not; but behave with them in the world kindly, and follow the path of him who turns to Me in repentance and in obedience.Then to Me will be your return, and I shall tell you what you used to do. "O my son! If it be (anything) equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed, and though it be in a rock, or in the heavens or in the earth, Allah will bring it forth. Verily, Allah is Subtle (in bringing out that grain), Well-Aware (of its place). "O my son! Aqim-As-Salat (perform As-Salat), enjoin (on people) Al-Ma'ruf (Islamic Monotheism and all that is good), and forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief in the Oneness of Allah, polytheists of all kinds and all that is evil and bad), and bear with patience whatever befalls you. Verily, these are some of the important commandments (ordered by Allah with no exemption). "And turn not your face away from men with pride, nor walk in insolence through the earth. Verily, Allah likes not any arrogant boaster." "And be moderate (or show no insolence) in your walking and lower your voice. Verily, the harshest of all voices is the braying of the ass"}. (Luqman, 12-19)

He is Luqman Ibn 'Anqa' Ibn Sadun. Or, as stated by As-Suhaili from Ibn Jarir and Al-Qutaibi that he is Luqman Ibn Tharan who was from among the people of Aylah (Jerusalem).

He was a pious man who exerted himself in worship and who was blessed with wisdom. Also, it is said that he was a judge during the lifetime of Prophet Dawud (Peace be upon him). And, Allah knows best.

Narrated Sufyan Ath- Thawri from Al-Ash'ath after 'Ikrimah on the authority of Ibn 'Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) as saying: He was an Ethiopian slave who worked as a carpenter. Qatadah narrated from' Abdullah Ibn Az-Zubair as saying: I asked Jabir Ibn 'Abdullah about Luqman. He said: "He was short with a flat nose. He was from Nubia"

Narrated Yahia Ibn Sa' id Al-Ansari after Sa' id Ibn Al-Musayib his saying: Luqman belonged to the black men of Egypt. He had thick lips and Allah the Almighty granted him wisdom but not Prophethood. Al-Awza'i said: I was told by 'Abdur Rahman Ibn Harmalah: that a black man came to Sa' id Ibn Al-Musayib asking him for charity. Sa' id said: do not feel distressed for your black color because there were from among the best of all people three blackmen: Bilal Ibn Rabah, Mahja' (the freed-slave of 'Umar Ibn Al-Khattab), and Luqman, the wise who was black, from Nubia and whose lips were thick.

Narrated Al-A'mash after Mujahid: Luqman was a black huge slave, thicklipped, and crackedfooted. 'Umar Ibn Qais said: "Luqman was a black slave, thick-lipped and cracked-footed. It happened while he was preaching some people, a man came to him and said: aren't you the one who used to look after the sheep with me at such and such place? Luqman said: yes, I am! The man said: then, what made you of that position? Luqman said: telling the truth and keeping silent regarding what does not concern me." (This Hadith was narrated by Ibn Jarir after lbn Hamid after Al-Hakam)

Ibn Abu Hatim said: I was told by Abu Zar' ah that he was told by Safwan after Al- W alid after 'Abdur Rahman Ibn Abu Yazid Ibn Jabir who said: "Allah the Almighty raised Luqman's status for his wisdom. A man used to know him saw him and said: Aren't you the slave of so and so who used to look after my sheep not so long in the past? Luqman said: yes! The man said: What raised you to this high state I see? Luqman said: the Divine Decree, repaying the trust, telling the truth and discarding what does not concern me. "

Narrated Ibn Wahb: I was told by 'Abdullah Ibn 'Ayyash Al-Fityani after' Umar, the freed slave of 'Afrah as saying: "A man came to Luqman, the wise and asked: Are you Luqman? Are you the slave of so and so? He said: "Yes!" The man said: You are the black shepherd! Luqman said: As for my black color, it is obviously apparent, so what makes you so astonished? The man said: You became frequently visited by the people who pleasingly accept your judgments! Luqman said: 0 cousin! If you do what I am telling you, you will be like this. The man said: What is it? Luqman said: Lowering my gaze, watching my tongue, eating what is lawful, keeping my chastity, undertaking my promises, fulfilling my commitments, being hospitable to guests, respecting my neighbors, and discarding what does not concern me. All these made me the one you are looking at."

One day Abu Ad-Darda' mentioned Luqman the wise and said: He was not granted wisdom because of wealth, children, lineage, or given habits, but he was self-restrained, taciturn, deep-thinking, and he never slept during the day. In addition, no one has ever seen him spitting, clearing his throat, squeezing the lemon, answering the call of nature, bathing, observing trivialities, or foolishly laughing. He was very eloquent and well-versed. He did not weep or cry when all his children died. Finally, he used to frequent the princes and men of authority to mediate and think thoroughly and find admonition. So, because of all these he was granted that great wisdom.

Some people claimed that he was offered Prophethood, and that he feared not to be able to carry out its requirements and obligations. Thus, he chose to have wisdom for it is easier -this cannot be totally true -and Allah knows best! 'Ikrimah also narrated that: Luqman was a Prophet. (This narration is very weak for the sub-narrator, Al-Ja'fi is mentioned by Imams Al-Bukhari and An-Nasa'i among the Weak Narrators.)

However, the majority of scholars are of the view that he was a wise man and not a Prophet. Moreover, he was mentioned in the Glorious Qur'an and was highly praised by Allah the Almighty Who narrates his advice to his own son in which he says: {O my son! Join not in worship others with Allah. Verily, joining others in worship with Allah is a great Zulm (wrong) indeed}, so he forbade his son and warned him against joining others in worship with Allah. Imam Al-Bukhari said: I was told by Qutaibah after Jarir after Al-A'mash after Ibrahim after 'Alqamah after 'Abdullah as saying: "When the Verse: {It is those who believe and do not confuse their belief with wrong (i.e. joining others in worship with Allah} (Al-An' am, 82) was revealed, we said: "0 Allah's Messenger! Who is there amongst us who has not done wrong to himself?" He (Peace be upon him) replied: "It is not as you say, for 'wrong' in the Verse and' do not confuse their belief with wrong' means 'SHIRK' (i.e. joining others in worship with Allah). Haven't you heard Luqman's saying to his son, {O my son! Join not others in worship with Allah, verily joining others in worship with Allah is a great wrong indeed}." (Luqman, 13)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:57:27 AM by mabdullah » Logged
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:48:41 AM »

Then, Allah informs us of His advice to mankind to take care of parents. He states their rights on the children and orders us to be kind with them even if they were polytheists. But, one should not obey them if they invite him to join others in worship with Allah. Then Allah resumes Luqman's advice to his son saying: {O my son! If it be (anything) equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed, and though it be in a rock, or in the heavens or in the earth, Allah will bring it forth. Verily, Allah is Subtle (in bringing out that grain), Well-Aware (of its place)}, i.e. he forbids him to do wrong to the people even in the slightest way, for Allah will bring it forth and bring him to account on the Day of Resurrection. Allah Almighty says: {Surely! Allah wrongs not even of the weight of an atom (or a small ant)} (An-Nisa', 40) and, {And We shall set up balances of justice on the Day of Resurrection, then none will be dealt with unjustly in anything. And if there be the weight of a mustard seed, We will bring it. And Sufficient are We to take account} (Al-Anbiya', 47) and, he told him if that wrong deed was equal to the weight of a grain of mustard seed, or if it was in a solid rock, or in the heavens or in the earth, Allah will bring it forth for He knows its exact place, {Verily, Allah is Subtle (in bringing out that grain), Well-Aware (of its place)}. Allah Almighty also says: {And with Him are the keys of the Ghaib (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record} (Al-An'am, 59) and, {And there is nothing hidden in the heaven and the earth but it is in a Clear Book (i.e. Al-Lauh Al-Mahfuz)} (An-Naml, 75) and, {the All-Knower of the Unseen, it will come to you; not even the weight of an atom (or a small ant) or less than that or greater escapes His Knowledge in .the heavens or in the earth but it is in a Clear Book (Al-Lauh Al-Mahfuz)} (Saba', 3).

As-Sadiy claimed that the rock mentioned in the Verse is that which lies beneath the seventh earth. But, this claim is totally rejected for the word "rock" is indefinite and if his claim were true, it would be "the rock". So, "rock" here means any rock whatever and not a particular one. Narrated Abu Sa'id Al- Khudri after Prophet Muhammad (Peace be up9n him) as saying: "If any of you performs deeds in a solid rock that has no door or hole, his deeds, whatever they are, will come out (to the public)." Then, Luqman said: {O my son! Aqim-As-Salah (perform As-Salah)}, i.e. perform it properly and in due time. Then, he said: {enjoin (on people) Al-Ma'ruf (Islamic Monotheism and all that is good), and forbid (people) from Al-Munkar (i.e. disbelief in the Oneness of Allah, polytheists of all kinds and all that is evil and bad)}, i.e. with your full power, with your hand, tongue and if you could not, let it be with your heart (i.e. reject and resent it). Then, he advised him to observe patience saying: {and bear with patience whatever befalls you}, for if one enjoins what is good and forbids the evil, he will probably regarded as enemy to certain people (but, the final reward would surely be his). For this, he commanded him to observe patience. {Verily, these are some of the important commandments (ordered by Allah with no exemption)} that are inevitable and cannot be neglected.

Allah the Almighty says: {And turn not your face away from men with pride}, narrated Ibn `Abbas, Mujahid, `Ikrimah, Sa`id Ibn Jubair, Ad-Dahhak, Yazid Ibn Al-Asam, Abu Al-Jawza' and others: This means one shouldn't be showy or arrogant. Allah the Almighty says: {nor walk in insolence through the earth.

Verily, Allah likes not any arrogant boaster}, here, Luqman forbids his son to strut in his walk. Allah the Almighty says: {And walk not on the earth with conceit and arrogance. Verily, you can neither rend nor penetrate the earth, nor can you attain a stature like the mountains in height}. (Al-Isra', 37) i.e. you will neither be able to tread the whole earth, nor penetrate it with your fast walking or strong footsteps, nor will you be as high as mountains with your showing-off or arrogance. So, know yourself well, for you are only a human being (created to worship Allah Alone). The Prophetic Hadith states:

"While a man was walking, dragging his dress with pride, he was caused to be swallowed by the earth and will go on sinking in it till the Day of Resurrection." (Transmitted by Imam Al-Bukhari in his Sahih) Another Prophetic Hadith states that: "Beware dragging your dress with pride, for this is boastfulness which is not loved (liked) by Allah " Allah the Almighty says: {Verily, Allah likes not any arrogant boaster}.

After Luqman forbids his son to walk boastfully, he orders him to be moderate in his walking, saying: {And be moderate (or show no insolence) in your walking}, i.e. do not walk fast or too slow, rather take a course inbetween, {And the (faithful) slaves of the Most Gracious (Allah) are those who walk on the earth in humility and sedateness, and when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with mild words of gentleness}. (Al-Furqan, 63) Then, Luqman says: {and lower your voice}, i.e. if you talk, do not raise your voice very loudly because the braying of the ass is the harshest of all voices.

Narrated Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with him): The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: "When you hear the crowing of cocks, ask for Allah's Blessings for (their crowing indicates that) they have seen an angel. And when you hear the braying of donkeys, seek Refuge with Allah from Satan for (their braying indicates) that they have seen a Satan." (Transmitted by Imam Al-Bukhari in his Sahih). For this, it is forbidden to raise one's voice needlessly. But, raising the voice with the Adhan (the Call to Prayer) and in the battlefield is permitted.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:16:16 PM by mabdullah » Logged
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »

These are the pieces of advice given by Luqman to his son that are mentioned in the Glorious Qur'an. Many others have been mentioned in a book titled Hikmat Luqman (Luqman's Wisdom). From this valuable book, we cite the following:

Narrated Imam Ahmed that Ibn 'Umar (May Allah be pleased with both of them) said: We were told by Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) that: "Luqman, the wise used to say: If anything was entrusted to Allah, He would preserve it.” (This narration has a weak sub-narrator in its chain)

Narrated Ibn Hatim that Al-Qasim Ibn Mukhaimirah reported that Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) said: "Luqman said to his son when he was advising him: "0 my son! Beware of masking for it is treason by night and dispraise during the day. "

Narrated Damurah after As-Sariy Ibn Yahia as saying: Luqman said to his son: "On my son! Verily, wisdom has brought the indigent to the courts of kings."

I was told by my father after 'Abdah lbn Sulaiman after Ibn Al-Mubarak after 'Abdur Rahman Al-Mas' udi after 'Aun Ibn 'Abdullah as saying: Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! If you come to a people's setting, start them with salutation (Saying As-Salamu 'Alaikum (Peace be with you)), then, take a side and do not utter a word till they speak. If you find them observing the Remembrance of Allah, join them. But, if they observe anything else, turn away from them and seek others (who remember Allah Almighty). "

I was told by my father after 'Amr Ibn 'Uthman after Damurah Ibn Hafs Ibn 'Umar as saying: "Luqman placed a bag of mustards beside him and started to advise his son, giving him with every piece of advice a mustard till it all ran out.

He said: 0 my son! I gave you advice that if a mountain was given, it would split. He said: then, his son was as if struck. "

Ibn 'Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) narrated: "Take care of the black men for three from among them are of the people of Paradise: Luqman the wise, Negus and Bilal (the Caller to Prayer)." (However, this Hadith is odd and rejected).

Imam Ahmed, in his book Az-Zuhd (Asceticism), mentioned Luqman' s biography and many other valuable things. He said: I was told by Waki' after Sufyan after an unidentified man after Mujahid as saying: Allah's Statement: {And indeed We bestowed upon Luqman Al-Hikmah}, i.e. wisdom and religious understanding. He added: he was not a Prophet. The same was narrated by Wahb Ibn Munabih.

Waki' told us after Sufyan after Ash'ath after 'Ikrimah after Ibn 'Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) that he said: Luqman was an Ethiopian slave.

Aswad told us after Hammad after 'Ali Ibn Yazid after Sa'id Ibn Al-Musaiyb as saying: Luqman was a tailor.

Saiyar told us after Ja'far after Malik Ibn Dinar as saying: Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! Take Allah's Obedience as your trade, and you will gain profits without having any merchandises."

Yazid told us after Abul Ashhab after Muhammad Ibn Wasi' as saying: Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! Fear Allah and do not let the people notice that you fear Him to gain honor (from them) while your heart is sinful."

Yazid Ibn Hamn and Waki' told us after Abul AShhab after Khalid Ar-Rab'i as saying: "Luqman was an Ethiopian slave who worked as a carpenter. One day, his master ordered him to slaughter a goat and bring him the most pleasant and delicious two parts thereof. Luqman did so and brought him the tongue and heart. The master asked: Did not you find anything more pleasant than these?

Luqman said: No! After a while, the master ordered him to slaughter a goat and to throw the most malignant two parts thereof. Luqman slaughtered the goat and threw the tongue and heart. The master exclaimed and said: I ordered you to bring me the most delicious parts thereof and you brought me the tongue and heart, and I ordered you to throwaway the most malignant parts thereof and you threw the tongue and heart, how can this be? Luqman said: Nothing can be more pleasing than these if they were good, and nothing can be more malicious than these if they were malignant."

Dawud Ibn Rashid told us after Ibn Al-Mubarak after Mu'amir after Abu 'Uthman, a man from Basrah, as saying: Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! Do not wish for befriending a fool that he may think you approve his foolishness. And, do not take the wise man's rage easily that he may abstain from you."

Dawud Ibn Usaid told us after Isma'il Ibn 'Ayyash after Damdam Ibn Zar'ah after Shuraih Ibn 'Ubaid Al-Hadrami after 'Abdullah Ibn Zaid as saying: Luqman said: "Verily, Allah's Hand is on the mouths of wise men; none of them speaks but with what Allah assigned for him."

'Abdur Razzaq told us that he heard Ibn Juraij as saying: I used to mask my head at night and `Umar said to me: Did not you hear that Luqman had said: masking during the day is humiliation and at night is dispraise. So, why do you mask yourself at night? He said: "Luqman was not indebted."

I was told by Hasan after Al-Junaid after Sufyan as saying: Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! I have never regretted because of keeping silent. If words are silver, silence is golden."

I was told by 'Abdul Samad and Waki' after Abul Ashhab after Qatadah as saying: Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! Set apart with evil and it will set apart with you, for evil begets nothing but evil."

Narrated Imam Ahmed: I was told by 'Abdur Rahman Ibn Mahdi after Nafi' Ibn 'Umar after Ibn Abu Malikah after 'Ubaid Ibn 'Umair as saying: Luqman said to his son when he was advising him: "0 my son! Choose between gatherings (of people) precisely! If you find a gathering in which Allah is mentioned, sit yourself with them. Thus, if you are knowledgeable, your knowledge will benefit you; but, if you are ignorant, they will teach you; and if Allah wishes to do them good, you will be benefited therewith. 0 my son! Do not sit in a gathering in which Allah is not mentioned! Because if you are knowledgeable, your knowledge will not benefit you; and if you are ignorant, they will add to your ignorance; and if Allah wishes to afflict them with harm, you will be afflicted with them. 0 my son! Do not rejoice at seeing a strong man who sheds the blood of the faithful, for Allah appoints for him a killer that does not ever die."

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:16:49 PM by mabdullah » Logged
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 11:52:19 AM »

Abu Mu'awiyah told us after Hisham Ibn 'Urwah after his father as saying: "Wisdom dictates: 0 my son: Let your speech be good and your face be smiling, you will be more loved by the people than those who give them provisions." And, he said: "It is stated in the wisdom -or the Torah - : "Kindness is the head of wisdom." And, he said: "It is stated in the Torah: "As you show mercy (to others), mercy will be shown to you." And, he said: "It is stated in the wisdom: "You will gain what you give (or, harvest what you grow)." And, he said: "It is stated in the wisdom: "Love your friend and the friend of your father."

`Abdur Razzaq told us after Mu'amir after Ayyub after Abu Qulabah as saying: Luqman was once asked: Who is the best one in terms of patience? He said: It is the one who practices no harm after observing patience. Those who asked him said: Who is the best one in terms of knowledge? He said: It is he who adds to his own knowledge through the knowledge of others. They asked: Who is the best from among the whole people? He said: It is the wealthy. They said: Is it the one who has properties and riches? He said: No! But, it is the one if whose good was sought, he would not hold it back or prevent it. And, it is the one who does not need anything from others.

Narrated Sufyan Ibn 'Uyaynah: Luqman was asked: Who is the worst of all people? He replied: It is the one who does not feel shame if found committing a sinful deed.

Abu As-Samad told us after Malik Ibn Dianr as saying: I found some pieces of-wisdom as follows: "Allah Almighty scatters and wastes the bones of those who give religious opinions that go with the people's lusts and desires." And, "There is no good for you that you learn something new while you do not practice what you have learnt previously. This is like a man who gathered a pile of dry wood, then tried to carry it but couldn't. Thereupon, he collected a second one."

'Abdullah Ibn Ahmed said: I was told by Al-Hakam Ibn Abu Zuhair Ibn Musa after Al-Faraj Ibn Fudalah after Abu Sa'id as saying: Luqman said to his son: "0 my son! Let only the pious men eat your food, and consult the scholars over your affairs." These were what Imam Ahmed quoted from the wisdom of Luqman, and I added some that he did not transmit and indeed, he -Imam Ahmed -quoted things that I did not. And, Allah knows best!

Ibn Abu Hatim said: I was told by my father after Al-'Abbas Ibn Al-Walid after Zaid Ibn Yahya Ibn 'Ubaid Al-Khuza'i after Sa'id Ibn Bashir after Qatadah as saying: Allah Almighty enabled Luqman to choose between Prophethood and wisdom and he (Luqman) preferred wisdom to Prophethood. Then, Gabriel came while he was asleep and poured the wisdom over him. And, he began to pronounce it the next morning.

Sa'id said: I heard Qatadah as saying: It was said to Luqman: How did you prefer wisdom to Prophethood when you were enabled to choose between them? He said: If Allah were to assign me with Prophethood, I would accept it and try hard to win His Pleasure, but He enabled me to choose. I feared of being too weak for Prophethood, so I chose wisdom. This narration is not perfectly authentic or sound for that sub-narrator, Sa' id Ibn Bashir, is not a trustworthy one. However, many from among our earlier scholars, foremost among whom were: Mujahid, Sa'id Ibn Al-Musayyb and Ibn 'Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) were of the viewpoint that Allah's Statement that reads: {And indeed We bestowed upon Luqman Al-Hikmah (wisdom)}, means: discretion and religious understanding. Thereupon, he was not a Prophet and nothing has been revealed to him Al-Wahi (Divine Inspiration).

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 12:38:14 PM by mabdullah » Logged
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 02:35:23 PM »

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

The Story of Qarun(Korah)

Allah the Almighty says:

{Verily, Qarun (Korah) was of Musa's (Moses) people, but he behaved arrogantly towards them.
And We gave him of the treasures, that of which the keys would have been a burden to a body of strong men.

Remember when his people said to him: "Do not exult (with riches, being ungrateful to Allah). Verily Allah likes not those who exult (with riches, being ungrateful to Allah). "But seek with that (wealth) which Allah has bestowed on you, the home of the Hereafter, and forget not your portion of lawful enjoyment in this world,' and do good as Allah has been good to you, and seek not mischief in the land. Verily, Allah likes not the Mufsidun (those who commit great crimes and sins, oppressors, tyrants, mischief-makers, corrupters)."

He said: "This has been given to me only because of the knowledge I possess." Did he not know that Allah had destroyed before him generations, men who were stronger than him in might and greater in the amount (of riches) they had collected? But the Mujrimun (criminals, disbelievers, polytheists, sinners) will not be questioned of their sins (because Allah knows them well, so they will be punished without being called to account).

So he went forth before his people in his pomp. Those who were desirous of the life of the world, said: "Ah, would that we had the like of what Qarun (Korah) has been given! Verily he is the owner of a great fortune." But those who had been given (religious) knowledge said: "Woe to you! The Reward of Allah (in the Hereafter) is better for those who believe and do righteous good deeds, and this none shall attain except those who are AsSabirun (the patient in following the truth). "So We caused the earth to swallow him and his dwelling place.

Then he had no group or party to help him against Allah, nor was he one of those who could save themselves. And those who had desired (for a position like) his position the day before, began to say: "Know you not that it is Allah Who enlarges the provision or restricts it to whomsoever He pleases of His slaves. Had it not been that Allah was Gracious to us, He could have caused the earth to swallow us up (also)! Know you not that the disbelievers will never be successful." That home of the Hereafter (i.e. Paradise), We shall assign to those who rebel not against the truth with pride and oppression in the land nor do mischief by committing crimes. And the good end is for the Muttaqun (the pious and righteous persons)}. (Al-Qasas, 76-83)

Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) held the opinion that Qarun (Koran) was a paternal cousin to Musa (Peace be upon him). This view is supported by many other narrators, including Ibn Juraij who added that he is Qarun Ibn Yashar Ibn Qahith, while Musa was the son of `Imran Ibn Hafith. Ibn Juraij went further and rejected the viewpoint of Ibn Ishaq that he was a paternal uncle to Musa (Peace be upon him).

Qatadah said: He was called "An-Nur" (the light) for he had a melodious voice while reciting the Torah (Taurat), but he became a hypocrite just like As-Samiri who became a hypocrite too. Thus, Qarun was destroyed because of his transgression due to the wealth and riches he had.

Shahr Ibn Haushab said: he dragged his garment out of pride and arrogance (conceit).

Allah the Almighty mentioned the numerousness of his wealth and riches so that its keys would have been a burden to a body of strong men. It was also said: the keys were made of leather and that they used to be carried on sixty mules. Allah knows best!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:44:31 PM by mabdullah » Logged
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »

However, he was advised by the godly men from among his people saying:
{Do not exult} i.e. do not be arrogant or conceited with riches, being ungrateful to Allah the Almighty. {Verily Allah likes not those who exult (with riches, being ungrateful to Allah). "But seek with that (wealth) which Allah has bestowed on you, the home of the Hereafter} they advise him to direct his endeavors to gain Allah's Reward in the Hereafter as it is the best of all rewards. But, {and forget not your portion of lawful enjoyment in this world}, i.e. take thereof with your money what is made lawful to you and have the possible lawful joys of this present life.

And {do good as Allah has been good to you}, i.e. do good to the creation of Allah Who has been good to you. And {seek not mischief in the land}, i.e. do not harm the people regarding whom you were commanded to do good. If you harm them, He will punish you and take back what He has granted you {Verily, Allah likes not the Mufsidun (those who commit great crimes and sins, oppressors, tyrants, mischief-makers, corrupters)}. His answer to this good advice of his people was nothing but: {He said: This has been given to me only because of the knowledge I possess}, i.e. I do not need what you have said or referred to, as Allah only gave me this for He knew that I deserve it and I am really qualified thereto. Moreover, were it not for that He loves me, He would not grant or give me this.

However, Allah the Almighty refuted his statement saying:
{Did he not know that Allah had destroyed before him generations, men who were stronger than him in might and greater in the amount (of riches) they had collected? But the Mujrimun (criminals, disbelievers, polytheists, sinners) will not be questioned of their sins (because Allah knows them well, so they will be punished without being called to account)},

i.e. We have destroyed before him generations because of their sins and bad deeds and that they were stronger than Qarun and they had more riches and children than him. So, if what he said was true, We would not punish anyone of those who had more riches than him and his wealth and riches would not be a proof of Our love or care for him.

Allah the Almighty says: {And it is not your wealth, nor your children that bring you nearer to Us (i.e. please Allah), but only he who believes (in the Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds (will please Us),. as for such, there will be twofold reward for what they did, and they will reside in the high dwellings Paradise) in peace and security}. (Saba', 37) and, He says: {Do they think that in wealth and children with which We enlarge them. We hasten unto them with good things. Nay, [it is a Fitnah (trial) in this worldly life so that they will have no share of good things in the Hereafter] but they perceive not}. (Al-Mu'minun, 55,56). Allah's answer to Qarun's claims confirms our interpretation of his saying, {This has been given to me only because of the knowledge I possess}. But as for those who claimed that he was a chemist or that he knew the Greatest Name of Allah the Almighty and that he used it to collect wealth, all these are fallacies and not true. For chemistry cannot change the reality of something, and the Greatest Name is of no effect if it is pronounced by a disbeliever. And, Qarun was inherently a disbeliever and apparently a hypocrite. Moreover, the context of the advice given by his people and his answer to them do not support that claim.

Almighty Allah says: {So he went forth before his people in his pomp}, many interpreters mentioned that he went forth before his people in great luxuries (servants, clothes and riding animals). When those who were desirous of the life of the world saw him, they wished to have the same and wondered "what a great fortune he has!" When their saying reached the ears of the godly righteous men they said to them: {Woe to you! The Reward of Allah is better for those who believe and do righteous good deeds}, i.e. the Reward of Allah in the Hereafter is better and higher than this.

Almighty Allah says: {and this none shall attain except those who are As-Sabirun (the patient in following the truth)}, i.e. this -advice, saying and high determination regarding the Hereafter in presence of the joys of this present life -none shall attain except those who were guided and those whose hearts were fixed and minds made stable by the Grace of Allah the Almighty.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:45:06 PM by mabdullah » Logged
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 02:42:48 PM »

And, nothing is better than the saying of some of our earlier scholars who said: "Verily, Allah loves penetrative insight in time of suspicious matters and perfect reasoning in time of the presence of lusts" .

Allah the Almighty says: {So, We caused the earth to swallow him and his dwelling place. Then, he had no group or party to help him against Allah, nor was he one of those who could save themselves}, when Allah the Almighty mentioned his setting forth in his pomp, He said {So, We caused the earth to swallow him and his dwelling place}. As transmitted by Imam Al-Bukhari, Allah's Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: "While a man was walking, clad in a two-piece garment and proud of himself with his hair well-combed, suddenly Allah made him sink into the earth and he will go on sinking into it till the Day of Resurrection. " (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

Narrated Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) and As-Sadiy that Qarun gave a prostitute a sum of money to say to Musa (Peace be upon him) while he is accompanied with other people that he (Musa) committed with her (adultery). It is said that she did it and consequently, Musa (Peace be upon him) trembled with fear and he performed two Rak`ahs (bowing in prayer) and then said to her: By Allah! Tell me, who hired you to do this? She said: It was Qarun who hired me to do that. Then, she sought Allah's Forgiveness and repented to Him. Upon that, he (Musa (Peace be upon him)) prostrated himself and invoked Allah against Qarun. Allah the Almighty revealed to him that He subjugated the earth to obey him. Musa (Peace be upon him) commanded the earth to swallow Qarun and his dwelling place. And it was! Allah knows best!

It was also said: That when Qarun went forth before his people in his pomp: guards, mules and clothes, he passed by Musa (Peace be upon him) while he was reminding the people of Allah. When the people saw him, the faces of most of them turned towards him. Musa (Peace be upon him) called him and said:

Why do you do this? Qarun replied saying: O Musa! You have been favored with Prophethood and I have been favored with riches. If you want, you may go forth and invoke Allah against me, and I would invoke Him against you. Thereupon, both of them went forth and Musa (Peace be upon him) said: Would you like to begin? Qarun said: Yes, and he made his invocations but they were not answered. When Musa (Peace be upon him) invoked Allah the Almighty against him saying: O Allah! Command the earth to transgress today. Allah revealed to him that He did. Then, Musa (Peace be upon him) said: O earth! Take them! And it took them to their feet. Then, he said: take them! And it took them to their knees. Then, he said: take them! And it took them to their shoulders. Then, he said: O earth! Bring their riches and treasures! They were brought till they saw them, then Musa (Peace be upon him) pointed with his hand saying: Go, you sons of Laui! And they sank into the earth.

It was narrated from Qatadah that he said: "They would sink into the earth till the Day of Resurrection." Ibn 'Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) said: "They sank into the earth till they reached the seventh earth."

Allah the Almighty says: {Then he had no group or party to help him against Allah, nor was he one of those who could save themselves}, i.e. he could not help himself or get help from others.

Allah the Almighty states:
{Then he will have no power, nor any helper}. (At-Tariq, 10)

When the people saw what happened to Qarun and his treasures of sinking into the earth and complete destruction, those who had desired for a position like his position the day before regretted and thanked Allah the Almighty and hence they said:

{Had it not been that Allah was Gracious to us, He could have caused the earth to swallow us up (also)! Know you not that the disbelievers will never be successful}.

Then, Allah the Almighty informs us that {That home of the Hereafter}, i.e. Paradise is prepared only for those {who rebel not against the truth with pride and oppression in the land nor do mischief by committing crimes} and then He says: {And the good end is for the Muttaqun (the pious and righteous persons)}.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:45:21 PM by mabdullah » Logged
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 02:43:26 PM »

This story of Qarun might have taken place before they get out of Egypt for Allah the Almighty says: {So, We caused the earth to swallow him and his dwelling place}, or it might have taken place after that during the Diaspora. Allah knows best!

However, Almighty Allah mentions the dispraise of Qarun in several Verses on the Glorious Qur'an. Allah says: {And indeed We sent Musa (Moses) with Our Ayat (proofs, evidences, .verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), and a manifest authority. To Fir'aun (Pharaoh), Haman and Qarun (Korah), but they called (him): "A sorcerer, a liar!"}. (Ghafir, 23, 24) and, in Surah Al-'Ankabut after mentioning 'Ad, Thamud, Pharaoh, Haman and Qarun,

He says: {And (We destroyed also) Qarun (Korah), Fir'aun (Pharaoh), and Haman. And indeed Musa (Moses) came to them with lessons, clear Ayat (proofs, evidences, verses, signs, revelations, etc.), but they were arrogant in the land, yet they could not outstrip Us (escape Our punishment).

So, We punished each (of them) for his sins,. of them were some on whom We sent Hasib (a violent wind with shower of stones) [as on the people of Lut (Lot)], and of them were some who were overtaken by As-Saihah [torment -awful cry, (as Thamud or Shu'aib's People)], and of them were some whom We caused the earth to swallow [as Qarun (Korah)], and of them were some whom We drowned [as the people of Nuh (Noah), or Fir'aun (Pharaoh) and hispeople].

It was not Allah Who wronged them, but they wronged themselves}. (Al-'Ankabut, 39, 40)

so, he who was swallowed by the earth was Qarun, and those whom were drowned were Pharaoh, Haman and their troops because they were sinful.

Imam Ahmed, in his Musnad, reported that once the Prophet (Peace be upon him) remembered the prayer and said: "He who observes it regularly and properly, it will be light, evidence and salvation for him on the Day of Resurrection. And, he who does not observe it regularly and properly, there will neither be -for him -light, nor evidence, nor salvation. And, on the Day of Resurrection, he will be (gathered) with Qarun, Fir'aun (Pharaoh), Haman and Ubaiy Ibn Khalaf".
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 02:46:58 PM by mabdullah » Logged
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 11:39:36 AM »

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

People of the Garden

Allah the Almighty says:
{Verily, We have tried them as We tried the people of the garden, when they swore to pluck the fruits of the (garden) in the morning. Without saying: Insha'Allah (If Allah wills). Then there passed by on the (garden) a visitation (fire) from your Lord at night and burnt it while they were asleep. So the (garden) became black by the morning, like a pitch dark night (in complete ruins). Then they called out one to another as soon as the morning broke. Saying: "Go to your tilth in the morning, if you would pluck the fruits." So they departed, conversing in secret low tones (saying): No Miskin (poor man) shall enter upon you into it today. And they went in the morning with strong intention, thinking that they have power (to prevent the poor taking anything of the fruits therefrom). But when they saw the (garden), they said: "Verily, we have gone astray." (Then they said): "Nay! Indeed we are deprived of (the fruits)!" The best among them said: "Did I not tell you: why say you not: Insha' Allah (If Allah wills)." They said: "Glory to Our Lord! Verily, we have been Zalimun (wrong-doers)." Then they turned one against another, blaming. They said: "Woe to us! Verily, we were Taghun (transgressors and disobedient). We hope that our Lord will give us in exchange a better (garden) than this. Truly, we turn to our Lord (wishing for good that He may forgive our sins and reward us in the Hereafter). Such is the punishment (in this life), but truly the punishment of the Hereafter is greater if they but knew}. (Al-Qalam, 17-33)

This is an example set by Allah the Almighty for the polytheists of Quraysh as He favored them with sending the honorable and great Prophet, Muhammad (Peace be upon him), but they belied him and rejected what he had brought them. Almighty Allah, says: {Have you not seen those who have changed the Blessings of Allah into disbelief (by denying Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and his Message of Islam), and caused their people to dwell in the house of destruction? Hell, in which they will burn, -and what an evil place to settle in!}. (Ibrahim, 28, 29) Ibn 'Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) said: They are the polytheists of Quraysh whom were likened to the people of the garden that contained various fruits and plants that were ripe and the time of their harvesting has come. Thus, He, Glory be His, says: {When they swore} secretly {to pluck the fruits of the (garden)} i.e. to harvest it; {in the morning} in order not to be seen by either a poor, or a needy and be forced to donate to or give them any of its fruits. So, they swore to this without saying "If Allah wills". Consequently, Allah the Almighty disabled them and sent over their garden fire that burnt it and left nothing thereof. He, Glory be His, says: {Then, there passed by on the (garden) a visitation (fire) from your Lord at night and burnt it while they were asleep. So the (garden) became black by the morning, like a pitch dark night (in complete ruins)}.

Allah the Almighty says: {Then they called out one to another as soon as the morning broke}, i.e. they got up in the morning and they called out one to another saying: {Go to your tilth in the morning, if you would pluck the fruits}, i.e. go early to your garden and pluck the fruits before the poor and needy persons come to ask you for charity. The story goes: {So they departed, conversing in secret low tones}, i.e. talking one to another in low tones saying: {No Miskin (poor man) shall enter upon you into it today}, i.e. they agreed upon that and made mutual consultations thereto. The story goes on: {And they went in the morning with strong intention, thinking that they have power (to prevent the poor taking anything of the fruits therefrom)}, i.e. they went forth with seriousness, power and
strong bad intention.

`Ikrimah and Ash-Shu`abi said: {And they went in the morning with strong intention}, i.e. rage and bad intention against the poor. {But when they saw the (garden)}, i.e. when they reached their garden and found what had happened to it, upon this {they said: Verily, we have gone astray}, i.e. we have lost our way to our own garden, then they said: {Nay! Indeed we are deprived of (the fruits)!}, i.e. we have been punished because of our bad intentions and were deprived of the blessing of our tilth.

And, {the best among them said} Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him), Mujahid and others said: He was the best and the most moderate and just one among them all. {Did I not tell you: why say you not: Insha'Allah (If Allah wills)}, it was said: To say a good word instead of what you have intended. {They said: "Glory to Our Lord! Verily, we have been Zalimun (wrong-doers)." Then they turned one against another, blaming. They said: "Woe to us! Verily, we were Taghun (transgressors and disobedient)}, they regretted and showed sorrow when both could do them nothing, and they confessed their sinful deed after they had been punished and all that went in vain.

It was said: That they were brothers and they inherited that garden from their late father who used to give much and much in charity. But, when they possessed the garden they denied the acting of their late father and intended to deprive the poor of its fruits. Thereupon, Allah the Almighty punished them and gave them the severest of penalties. For this, Allah the Almighty commanded that charity must be taken out of fruits and it is preferably to be paid on the day of harvesting. He says: {Eat of their fruit when they ripen, but pay the due thereof (its Zakah, according to Allah's Orders l/lOth or 1/20th) on the day of its harvest}. (Al-An'am, 141)

It was said: They were from the Yemen, from a town called "Darwan". It was also said: They were from Abyssinia. Allah knows best! Allah the Almighty says: {Such is the punishment}, i.e. like this We punish whose who disobey Our Command and does not show kindness to the needy from among Our creatures. {But truly the punishment of the Hereafter is greater} than that of the present life {if they but knew}.

This story resembles Allah's Saying: {And Allah puts forward the example of a township, that dwelt secure and well-content: its provision coming to it in abundance from every place, but it (its people) denied the Favors of Allah (with ungratefulness). So Allah made it taste extreme of hunger (famine) and fear, because of that (evil, i.e. denying Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) which they (its people) used to do. And verily, there had come unto them a Messenger (Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) from among themselves, but they denied him, so the torment overtook them while they were Zalimun (polytheists and wrong- doers)}. (An-Nahl, 112, 113) It was said that this example was of the people of Makkah set for themselves and verily, there is no contradiction in this. Allah knows best!

mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 04:29:24 PM »

بِسۡمِ ٱللهِ ٱلرَّحۡمَـٰنِ ٱلرَّحِيمِ

Moses and Al-Khadir

Allah, the Almighty says:

{And (remember) when Musa (Moses) said to his boy-servant: "I will not give up (travelling) until I reach the junction of the two seas or (until) I spend years and years in travelling." But when they reached the junction of the two seas, they forgot their fish, and it took its way through the sea as in a tunnel. So when they had passed further on (beyond that fixed place), Musa (Moses) said to his boy-servant: "Bring us our morning meal; truly, we have suffered much fatigue in this, our journey."

He said: "Do you remember when we betook ourselves to the rock? I indeed forgot the fish,; none but shaytan (Satan) made me forget to remember it, it took its course into the sea in a strange (way)!" [Musa (Moses)] said: "That is what we have been seeking;" So they went back retracing their footsteps;

Then they found one of Our slaves, on whom We had bestowed mercy from Us, and whom We had taught knowledge from Us; Musa (Moses) said to him (Al-Khadir): "May I follow you so that you teach me something of that knowledge(guidance and true path) which you have been taught (by Allah)?" He (Al-Khadir) said: "Verily you will not be able to have patience with me! And how can you have patience about a thing which you know not;" Musa (Moses) said: "If Allah wills, you will find me patient, and I will not disobey you in aught;" He (Al-Khadir) said: "Then, if you follow me, ask me not about anything till I myself mention of it to you;" So they both proceeded, till, when they embarked the ship, he (Al-Khadir) scuttled it; Musa (Moses) said: "Have you scuttled it in order to drown its people? Verily, you have committed a thing Imr (a Munkar -evil, bad, dreadful thing); " He (Al-Khadir) said: "Did I not tell you, that you would not be able to have patience with me?" [Musa (Moses)] said: "Call me not to account for what I forgot*, and be not hard upon me for my affair (with you);" Then they both proceeded, till they met a boy, and he (Al-Khadir) killed him; Musa (Moses) said: "Have you killed an innocent person who had killed none? Verily, you have committed a thing Nukr (a great Munkar prohibited, evil, dreadful thing)!" (Al-Khadir) said: "Did I not tell you that you can have no patience with me?" [Musa (Moses)] said: "If I ask you anything after this, keep me not in your company, you have received an excuse from me; " Then they both proceeded, till, when they came to the people of a town, they asked them for food, but they refused to entertain them; Then they found therein a wall about to collapse and he (Al-Khadir) set it up straight; (Musa (Moses)] said: If you had wished, surely, you could have taken wages for it!"

(Al-Khadir) said: "This is the parting between me and you, I will tell you the interpretation of (those)things over which you were unable to hold patience. As for the ship, it belonged to Masakin (poor people) working in the sea. So I wished to make a defective damage in it, as there was a king behind them who seized every ship by force. And as for the boy, his parents were believers, and we feared lest he should oppress them by rebellion and disbelief. So we intended that their Lord should change him for them for one better in righteousness and nearer to mercy. And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the town; and there was under it a treasure belonging to them; and their father was a righteous man, and your Lord intended that they should attain their age of full strength and take out their treasure as a mercy from your Lord. And I did them not of my own accord. That is the interpretation of those (things) over which you could not hold patience}. (Al-Kahf, 60-82)

Some of the People of the Book said: the one who met Al-Khadir was Musa Ibn Misha Ibn Yusuf Ibn Ya` ub Ibn Ishaq Ibn Ibrahim, father of the Prophets. But, the most authentic view is that he was Musa Ibn `Imran, the Prophet sent by Allah to the Children of Israel.

Narrated Imam Al-Bukhari: I was told by Al-Hamidi after Sufyan after `Amr Ibn Dinar after Sa`id Ibn Jubair as saying: I said to Ibn `Abbas: "Nauf AI-Bakali claims that Moses (the companion of AI-Khadir) was not the Moses of Banu Israel but he was another Moses." Ibn `Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) remarked that the enemy of Allah (Nauj) was a liar.

Narrated Ubai bin Ka `b: The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: "Once Prophet Moses stood up and addressed Banu Israel. He was asked: "Who is the most learned man amongst the people?" He said: "I am the most learned." Allah admonished Moses as he did not attribute absolute knowledge to Him (Allah). So Allah inspired to him, "At the junction of the two seas there is a slave of mine who is more learned than you." Moses said: "O my Lord! How can I meet him?" Allah Almighty said: "Take a fish in a large basket (and proceed) and you will find him at the place where you will lose the fish." So Moses set out along with his (servant) boy, Yusha` bin Nun and carried a fish in a large basket till they reached a rock, where they laid their heads (i. e. lay down) and slept. The fish came out of the basket and it took its way into the sea as in a tunnel. So it was an amazing thing for both Moses and his (servant) boy. They proceeded for the rest of that night and the following day. When the day broke, Moses said to his (servant) boy: {Bring us our early meal. No doubt, we have suffered much fatigue in this journey}. Moses did not get tired till he passed the place about which he was told. There the (servant) boy told Moses: {Do you remember when we betook ourselves to the rock, I indeed forgot the fish}. Moses remarked:

{That is what we have been seeking. So they went back retracing their footsteps}, till they reached the rock. There they saw a man covered with a garment (or covering himself with his own garment). Moses greeted him. Al-Khadir replied saying: "How do people greet each other in your land?" Moses said: "I am Moses." He asked: "The Moses of Banu Israel?" Moses replied in the affirmative and added: "May I follow you so that you teach me of that knowledge which you have been taught." Al-Khadir replied: "Verily! You will not be able to remain patient with me, 0 Moses! I have some of the knowledge of Allah which He has taught me and which you do not know, while you have some knowledge which Allah has taught you which I do not know." Moses said: "Allah willing, you will find me patient and I will not disobey you in aught. So both of them set out walking along the seashore, as they did not have a boat. In the meantime a boat passed by them and they requested the crew of the boa(. to take them on board. The crew recognized Al-Khadir and took them on board without fare. Then a sparrow came and stood on the edge of the boat and dipped its beak once or twice in the sea. Al-Khadir said: "O Moses! My knowledge and your knowledge have not decreased Allah's knowledge except as much as this sparrow has decreased the water of the sea with its beak." Al-Khadir went to one of the planks of the boat and plucked it out. Moses said: "These people gave us a free lift but you have broken their boat and scuttled it so as to drown its people." Al-Khadir replied: "Didn't I tell you that you will not be able to remain patient with me." Moses said: "Call me not to account for what I forgot." The first (excuse) of Moses was that he had forgotten. Then they proceeded further and found a boy playing with other boys. Al-Khadir took hold of the boy's head from the top and plucked it out with his hands (i.e. killed him). Moses said: "Have you killed an innocent soul who has killed none." AI-Khadir replied: "Did I not tell you that you cannot remain patient with me?" Then they both proceeded till when they came to the people of a town, they asked them for food, but they refused to entertain them. Then they found there a wall on the point of collapsing. Al-Khadir repaired it with his own hands. Moses said: "If you had wished, surely you could have taken wages for it." Al-Khadir replied: "This is the parting between you and me." The Prophet (Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) added: "May Allah be Merciful to Moses! Would that he could have been more patient to learn more about his story with Al-Khadir." (Sahih Al-Bukhari)

Allah the Almighty says:
{And as for the wall, it belonged to two orphan boys in the town},

As Suhaili said: they were Asram and Sarim sons of Kashih. {And there was under it a treasure belonging to them}, i.e. the treasure was gold, or some kind of knowledge. However, the most likely view is that it was some kind of knowledge inscribed on a golden board.

Al-Bazzar said: I was told by Ibrahim Ibn Sa'id Al-Jauhari after Bishr Ibn Al-Mundhir ufter Al Harith Ibn 'Abdullah Al- Yahbasi after 'Iyad Ibn `Abbas Al-Ghassani after Ibn Hujairah after Abu Dharr as saying: "The treasure mentioned in Allah's Book (the Glorious Qur'an) was a solid golden board where it was inscribed: I wondered at the one who affirmed faith in the Divine Decree and then he exerted himself; and I wondered at the one who remembered Hell-Fire and then he laughed; and I wondered at the one who remembered death and then he became heedless of the meaning of 'There is no god but Allah.'" The like was narrated by Al-Hasan Al-Basri, ` Umar the freed slave of `Afrah and Ja`far As-Sadiq.

Allah's Saying:
{And their father was a righteous man},

i.e. their seventh or tenth grandfather. However, this proves that the righteousness of the father benefits his own children and their children.

Allah's Saying:
{as a mercy from your Lord} ,

this is a textual proof that Al-Khadir was a Prophet and that he did not do anything out of his own desire but as ordered by Allah the Almighty.

* Narrated Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with him): The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: "Allah forgives my followers those (evil deeds) their own selves may whisper or suggest to them as long as they do not act (on it) or speak." (Sahih Al-Bukhari) Narrated Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with him): The Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: "If somebody eats something forgetfully while he is fasting, then he should complete his fast, for Allah has made him eat and drink." (Sahih Al-Bukhari)
Al-Khadir's Name, Lineage and Prophethood: Is He Still Alive?

The real name, lineage and status of Al-Khadir are controversial. This can be added to the very important question: is he still alive?

Al-Hafiz Ibn `Asakir said: He is said to be Al-Khadir son of Adam. Ibn Qutaibah said: His name was Balya -or Aylya -Ibn Malakan Ibn Faligh Ibn `Abir Ibn Shalikh Ibn Arfakhshdh Ibn Sam Ibn Noah (Peace be Upon him). Isma`il Ibn Abu Uwais said: His name was Al-Mu`amir Ibn Malik Ibn `Abdullah Ibn Nasr Ibn Lazd. Others said: He is Khadrun Ibn `Amyaiyl Ibn Al-afiz Ibn AI-`Iys Ibn Ishaq Ibn Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be upon him). There are so many other views pertaining to his name and lineage.

Imam Al-Bukhari said: I was told by Muhammad Ibn Sa'id Al-Asbahani after Ibn Al-Mubarak after Mu`amir after Hammam on the authority of Abu Hurayrah (May Allah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: "Al-Khadir was named so because he sat over a barren white land, it turned green with plantation after (his sitting over It)."

Qabisah narrated on the authority of Ath-Thauri after Mansur after Mujahid as saying: Al-Khadir was named so because everything around him used to turn into green when he stands for prayer. It was stated earlier that Moses and Yusha`(Peace be upon them) went back retracing their footsteps, till they reached the rock. There they saw a man covered with a green garment (or covering himself with his own garment). Moses greeted him. Al-Khadir replied saying: "How do people greet each other in your land?" Moses said: "I am Moses." He asked: "The Moses of Banu Israel?" Moses replied in the affirmative and added: "May I follow you so that you teach me of that knowledge which you have been taught... etc."

The Story Indicated His Prophethood in Four Aspects:

First: Allah the Almighty says:
{Then they found one of Our slaves, on whom We had bestowed mercy from Us, and whom We had taught knowledge from Us}. (Al-Kahf, 65)

Second: Moses says to Al-Khadir: {Musa (Moses) said to him (Al-Khadir): "May I follow you so that you teach me something of that knowledge (guidance and true path) which you have been taught (by Allah)?" He (Al-Khadir) said: "Verily you will not be able to have patience with me! And how can you have patience about a thing which you know not."

Musa (Moses) said: "If Allah wills, you will find me patient, and I will not disobey you in aught." He (Al-Khadir) said: "Then, if you follow me, ask me not about anything till I myself mention of it to you"). (Al-Kahf, 66-70) So, were he not a Prophet, Moses would not address him that way, and he would not answer Moses that way as well. Moses sought his company because he wanted to get some of the knowledge Al-Khadir was given by Allah and that which Moses did not get. Were Al-Khadir anything but a Prophet, he would not be infallible. Thus, Moses would not be keen to accompany him because Moses himself was an honorable Prophet and an infallible Messenger.

Were Al-Khadir anything but a Prophet, Moses would not take the trouble of searching for him for eighty years. When Moses met with Al-Khadir, Moses highly respected him and followed him submissively to gain as much as possible of his divine knowledge.

Third: Al-Khadir intentionally killed the boy. He would not do that without an inspiration from Allah Almighty ordering him to. This incident can stand as a separate proof that Al-Khadir was a Prophet. It can stand as well, as a proof that he was infallible. Al-Khadir killed the boy because he was inspired that the boy would be a disbeliever when he grows up and that his parents would follow him due to their earnest love for him. So he killed him to save the faith of the parents. This indicated that he was an infallible Prophet.

Fourth: When Al-Khadir interpreted and explained for Moses the actions he took and clarified everything to him he added: {As a mercy from your Lord. And I did them not of my own accord}, i.e. I did not do that out of my desire, instead, I was ordered to by divine inspiration. All these indicated his Prophethood and infallibility.
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 04:31:24 PM »

Is Al-Khadir Still Alive?

The majority of scholars said: "Al-Khadir is still alive because he was the one who buried Adam (Peace be upon him) after the Deluge and thus he was affected by the invocation of Adam that he who buries him will live long." Some people said: "he is still alive because he drank of the spring of life."

There are so many narrations and stories on which those who viewed the existence of Al-Khadir today based their opinion. But, all the narrations and Hadiths pertaining to that issue are weak and invented and those who narrated them are not infallible.

'Abdur Razzaq said: I was told by Mu' amir that Abu Sa'id AI-Khudri said: "One day Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) narrated to us a long narration about Ad-Dajjal and among the things he narrated to us, was: 'Ad-Dajjal will come, and he will be forbidden to enter the mountain passes of Madinah. He will encamp in one of the salt areas neighboring Madinah and there will appear to him a man who will be the best or one of the best of the people. He will say: 'I testify that you are Ad-Dajjal whose story Allah's Messenger has told us. 'Ad Dajjal will say (to his audience): 'Look, if I kill this man and then give him life, will you have any doubt about my claim?' They will reply: 'No.' Then Ad Dajjal will kill that man and then will make him alive. The man will say: 'By Allah, now I recognize you more than ever! 'Ad-Dajjal will then try to kill him (again) but he will not be given the power to do so. ", Mu'amir said: I was told that the man who stands against the Dajjal is Al-Khadir and that his neck on that day would be covered with brass.

Sheik Abu Al-Faraj Ibn Al-Jawzi refuted all these Hadiths and proved them all to be invented, and he proved the Chains of Transmission of the narrations and stories of the Prophet's Companions and followers to be weak and fallible. Indeed, Ibn Al-Jawzi was very powerful and authentic in doing so.

As for those who claimed Al-Khadir to be dead such as Imam Al-Bukhari, Abu Al-Husain Ibn Al-Munadi and sheik Abu Al-Faraj Ibn Al-Jawzi, they held as their textual proofs what follows: Allah the Almighty says:

{And We granted not to any human being immortality before you (O Muhammad (Peace be upon him»: then if you die, would they live forever?}. (Al-Anbyia', 34)

So if Al-Khadir was a human being, he would be affected by this ruling: he is mortal, he must die. Allah the Almighty says: {And (remember) when Allah took the
Covenant of the Prophets, saying: "Take whatever I gave you from the Book and Hikmah (understanding of the Laws of Allah), and afterwards there will come to you a Messenger (Muhammad (Peace be upon him» confirming what is with you; you must, then, believe in him and help him." Allah said: "Do you agree (to it) and will you take up My

Covenant (which I conclude with you)?" They said: "We agree." He said:

"Then bear witness; and I am with you among the witnesses (for this)"). (Al 'Imran, 81)

Ibn 'Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) said: Allah took the Covenant of all the Prophets to believe in Muhammad and support him if he appears during their lifetimes. In addition, they should take the Covenant of all their own nations to believe in him and support him in the same way. Thereupon, were Al-Khadir a Prophet or a Wali (protector or guardian), he would be involved in that Covenant and that were he alive during the lifetime of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), he would follow him and present himself before him paying allegiance and absolute faith.

Imam Ahmed narrated: I was told by Shuraih Ibn An-Nu'man after Hashim after Mujalid after AshShi'bi after Jabir Ibn 'Abdullah that the Prophet (Peace be upon him) said: "By Him in Whose Hand my soul is! Were Moses alive, he would do nothing but follow me." This is the decisive view which the earlier Qur'anic Verse indicates that all Prophets -if they happen to live during the lifetime of Prophet Muhammad -are ordered to follow him and practice his own Shari `ah. On the Night Journey, he (Peace be upon him) was raised far above them all. (Near Sidrat ul-Muntaha (a lote-tree of the utmost boundary over the seventh heaven beyond which none can pass)

When they descended to Jerusalem and the time for Prayer was due, he (Peace be upon him) was ordered to lead them all (in Prayer). This showed that he is the greatest Imam and the last Prophet who is most honored and respected (May Allah grant him and them all mercy).

Thereupon, if Al-Khadir were alive, he would be joining forces with Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), and he would follow his religion in every minute detail. This is Prophet `Isa (Jesus (Peace be upon him)) when he will descends by the end of time, he will rule over the whole world in accordance with this honorable legislation of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him).

However, there is nothing to certify that Al-Khadir has met together with Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) in a single day or even witnessed any fight with him against the polytheists or the infidels. On the day on which the Battle of Badr was fought, the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) cast a glance at the infidels, and they were one thousand (1000) while his own Companions were three hundred and nineteen (319). Allah's Prophet (Peace be upon him) turned (his face) towards the Qiblah. Then, he stretched his hands and began his supplication to his Lord: 'O Allah! Accomplish for me what Thou hast promised to me. 0 Allah! Bring about what Thou hast promised to me. 0 Allah! If this small band of Muslims is destroyed, Thou will not be worshipped on this earth.' He (Peace be upon him) continued his supplication to his Lord, stretching his hands, facing the Qiblah, until his mantle slipped down from his shoulders. So Abu Bakr (May Allah be pleased with him) came to him, picked up his mantle and put it on his shoulders. Then he (Abu Bakr) embraced him from behind and said: 0 Prophet of Allah! This prayer of yours to your Lord will suffice you, and He will fulfil for you what He has promised you. So Allah, the Glorious and Exalted, revealed (the Qur'anic verse):

{(Remember) when you sought help of your Lord and He answered you (saying): I will help you with a thousand of the angels each behind the other (following one another) in succession}. (Al-Anfal, 9)

So Allah helped him with angels." (Sahih Muslim)

However, this' small band of Muslims' consisted, then, of the chiefs from among the Muslims and the angels, foremost among whom was Jibril (Gabriel (Peace be upon him)). Thus, if Al-Khadir were alive, his presence, then, would be the best thing he could ever do. Narrated Al-Qadi Abu Ya`la Muhammad Ibn Al-Husain Al- Fara' Al-Hanbali: Some people asked some of our companions about Al-Khadir, was he dead? They answered: "Yes."

Some people claim that Al-Khadir was present during all these past events but no one could see him because he was invisible. Obviously, this claim is groundless and is based only on illusions. Indeed, if he was still alive during the lifetime of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), he would certainly join him in his fight against the polytheists of the tribe of Quraysh. See the following Hadith: Narrated Sa'd (May Allah be pleased with him): "On the Day of Uhud I saw on the right side of Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) and on his left side two persons dressed in white clothes and whom I did not see before nor after that, and they were Gabriel and Michael (may Allah be pleased with both of them)." (Sahih Muslim)

In addition, 'Abdullah Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with both of them) said: "Once the Prophet (Peace be upon him) led us in the `Isha' (Night) Prayer during the last days of his life and after finishing it (the Prayer) (with Taslim, i.e. final salutation) he said: 'Do you realize (the importance of) this night? Nobody present on the surface of the earth tonight will be living after the completion of one hundred years from this night. ", (Sahih Al-Bukhari) And, `Abdullah Ibn `Umar (May Allah be pleased with both of them) narrated: "Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) led us in the `Isha' (Night) Prayer at the latter part of the night and when he had concluded it by salutations he stood up and said: 'Have you seen this night of yours? At the end of one hundred years after this (night) none would survive on the surface of the earth (from among my Companions).' Ibn `Umar said: People were (not understanding) these words of the Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) which had been uttered pertaining to one hundred years. Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) in fact meant (by these words) that on that day none from amongst those who had been living upon the earth (from amongst his Companions) would survive (after one hundred years) and that would be the end of this generation." (Sahih Muslim) And, Jabir Ibn `Abdullah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: "I heard Allah's Messenger (Peace be upon him) as saying this one month before his death: 'You asked me about the Last Hour whereas its knowledge is with Allah. I, however, take an oath and say that none upon the earth, the created beings (from amongst my Companions), would survive at the end of one hundred years." This Hadith has been narrated on the authority of Ibn Juraij with the same chain of transmitters, but there is no mention of the words: "one month before his death." (Sahih Muslim) So, even if Al-Khadir were alive during the lifetime of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), he would, then, be dead in accordance with these above-mentioned Hadiths. And, Allah knows best!
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Barsisa the Worshipper -The Renegade-

Allah the Almighty says in His Glorious Qur'an:
{(Their allies deceived them) like shaytan (Satan), when he says to man: "Disbelieve in Allah." But when (man) disbelieves in Allah, shaytan (Satan) says: "I am free of you, I fear Allah, the Lord of the `Alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists)!" So the end of both will be that they will be in the Fire, abiding therein. Such is the recompense of the Zalimun (i.e. polytheists, wrongdoers, disbelievers in Allah and in His Oneness)}. (Al-Hashr, 16, 17)

Ibn Jarir said that 'Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud interpreted the Qur'anic Verse that reads: {(Their allies deceived them) like shaytan (Satan), when he says to man: "Disbelieve in Allah." But when (man) disbelieves in Allah, shaytan (Satan) says: "I am free of you, I fear Allah, the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists)!" So the end of both will be that they will be in the Fire, abiding therein. Such is the recompense of the Zalimun (i.e. polytheists, wrong-doers, disbelievers in Allah and in His Oneness)}. (Al-Hashr, 16, 17)

Ibn Mas'ud (May Allah be pleased with him) said: Once upon a time, there was a woman grazing sheep and goats. She had four brothers. She (for some reason) used to spend the night at a monk's cell. The monk committed adultery with her and she got pregnant. Satan came to him and said: Kill the woman and then bury her for you are a reputable and highly respected man (i.e. don't risk your own reputation for such a simple woman). The monk killed her and then buried her. Thereupon, Satan visited her four brothers in a dream while they were asleep and said to them: the monk committed adultery with your sister, and because she got pregnant, he killed her and buried her in such-and-such location. In the morning, one of them said: "By Allah! Last night I dreamt of something and I do not know whether to relate it to you or just keep it to myself?" They said: Relate it to us. He did so and one of them said: By Allah! I saw the same dream. Another said the same. And the fourth one said the same thing. They agreed on that there must be something serious about that dream.

They went to the king and appealed for his help against the monk. The king's troops came to arrest him and he was taken away. On the way, Satan came to the monk (and whispered in his ears): I set you up. No one else can save you from this. Prostrate yourself before me just for once and in return, I will save you from this. Thereupon, the monk prostrated himself before Satan. When they presented themselves before the king, Satan said to him: I am free of you! Finally, the monk was killed.

The same story was narrated by the Leader of the Believers, 'Ali Ibn Abu Talib (May Allah be pleased with him) in another wording. Ibn Jarir said: I was told by Khallad Ibn Aslam, on the authority of An-Nadr Ibn Shamil after Shu'bah, after Abu Ishaq, after 'Abdullah Ibn Nahik saying: I heard 'Ali as saying: A monk worshipped Allah Alone for sixty years. Satan exerted himself to seduce him, but could not. He went to a woman and touched her with evil (maddened her). The woman had brothers whom were visited by Satan who told them to take her to that monk to receive treatment and cure. They took her to the monk and he treated her. Afterwards, she stayed for a while at his cell (house). One day, he was attracted to her and he committed adultery with her. She got pregnant and he killed her (to conceal his first crime). Her brothers came (after knowing the matter) and Satan appeared again for the monk and said: I am your friend, I did not find a solution or way to mislead you, but (finally) I set you up. So, obey me and I will save you from this. Prostrate yourself before me and you will be saved.

The monk did so. Then, Satan said: {"I am free of you, I fear Allah, the Lord of the`Alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists)! "} .(Al- Hashr ,16) This is the interpretation of Allah's Saying: {(Their allies deceived them) like shaytan (Satan), when he says to man: "Disbelieve in Allah." But when (man) disbelieves in Allah, shaytan (Satan) says: "I am free of you, I fear Allah, the Lord of the" Alamin (mankind, jinn and all that exists)!" So the end of both will be that they will be in the Fire, abiding therein. Such is the recompense of the Zalimun (i.e. polytheists, wrong-doers, disbelievers in Allah and in His Oneness)}. (Al-Hashr, 16, 17)
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 05:05:33 AM »

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Owners of the Elephant

Allah the Almighty says:
{Have you (0 Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) not seen how your Lord dealt with the owners of the Elephant? [The Elephant army which came from Yemen under the command of Abraha Al-Ashram intending to destroy the Ka`bah at Makkah]. Did He not make their plot go astray? And He sent against them birds, in flocks. Striking them with stones of Sijjil (baked clay). And He made them like (an empty field on stalks (of which the corn has been eaten up by cattle)}. (Al-Pil, 1-5)

At-Tabari said: The first one to tame elephants was Ifridun Ibn Athqiyan who killed Ad- Dahhaq. He was the first to use saddle for horses. But, the first one to tame and ride on horses was Tahmuris, the third king on earth. It is also said that Isma'il Ibn Ibrahim (Peace be upon them) was the first to ride horses. It is probably that he was the first one to ride on them from among the Arabs, and Allah knows the best.

It is said: Though the elephant is so huge, he fears from cats. Thereupon, some warlords, during their fight against the Indians, brought some cats to the battlefield the matter that forced the elephants to bolt.

Ibn Ishaq said: the governor or viceroy, Abraha Al-Ashram built a huge and very lofty churcb, and wrote to the king of Abyssinia, Negus that "I have built you a church that is unprecedented, and I am intending to divert pilgrimage from Makkah to Abyssinia".

Al-Suhaili said: Abraha Al-Ashram subjugated the Yemenites to build that mean church and forced them to taste several sorts of humiliation. He used to cut off the hand of the one who comes late for labor till the sun rises. He took many valuable things from the palace of Bilqis to add thereto. He took marbles, precious stones, and valuable luggage. Moreover, he erected gold and silver crosses, built ebony and ivory pulpits, and raised the church's stature and expanded its width. Afterwards, when Abraha was killed, whosoever tried to take anything out of its body or ornaments, the Jinn were reluctant and hesitant to do him harm. For, it was built above the burial of two idols called Ku'aib and his wife, the height of which was about sixty cubits. So, the Yemenites left it untouched till the era of Al-Saffah, the first Abbaside Caliph. He, Al-Saffah, sent a group of pious scholars of will firm who totally demolished it, and it wasdestroyed then till the present day.

Ibn Ishaq said: When the Arabs heard of the letter of Abraha sent to Negus, a man from Kinanah got angry. He set out till he reached the church where he urinated on its walls. (As a sign of showing anger and mockery.) No body noticed him, and upon that he returned home safely. The news reached Abraha who asked about the doer. He was answered: this was done by one of those Arabs who perform pilgrimage to the Ka'bah at Makkah when he heard of your declared intention that you would divert pilgrimage from their Sacred House to your (recently-built) church. He (the Arab) got angry and came to excrete therein declaring it to be unqualified (to the event). Upon hearing this, Abraha burst with rage and took oath that he would demolish the Ka'bah. Then, he ordered the Abyssinians (Christians) to get prepared for war.

He led a big expedition against Makkah accompanying an elephant or elephants in his train. The Arabs heard of the news and they were terrified, but they decided to fight him when the news was affirmed that he intended to destroy the Sacred House. A man from among the noblemen of Yemen called Dhu Nafar set out for him accompanied with his own clan and those who answered his call to fight against Abraha. The two parties met, Dhu Nafar and his followers were defeated and he himself was taken as a prisoner of 'war. He was then brought before Abraha who was about to kill him, but Dhu Nafar said: "0 king! Don't kill me, I may be of any use to you." Abraha did not kill him and he kept him tied up in custody. Then Abraha went on intending what he set out for. He arrived at the land of Khath'am where he encountered with Nufail Ibn Habib Al-Khath' ami who was leading his two tribes -Shahran and Nahis- along with his followers from among the Arabs. Nufail was defeated and taken as a prisoner of war to be brought before Abraha. Abraha intended to kill him, but Nufail said: "0 king! Don't kill me. I may guide you to the destination you desire. Here you are! My pledge of allegiance. `Abraha set him free and took him as a guide. When they passed by Ta'if, there came to him Mas' ud Ibn Mu' tab Ibn Malik Ibn Ka' b Ibn 'Amr Ibn Sa'd Ibn 'Auf Ibn Thaqif along with his followers who said: "0 king! We are nothing but your slaves, we listen and obey, no hostility is ever there between you and us, and our House is not that which you want -i.e. Al-Lat - you only want the House in Makkah. Hence, we send with you someone who leads you thereto.

Ibn Ishaq said: Al-Lat was a 'sacred' House in Ta'if, it was to them just as the Ka' bah was to the rest of the Arabs. They sent a man called Abu Rughal to show him (Abraha) the way to Makkah. They went on till they arrived at a place called Al-Maghmas where Abu Rughal died. Abu Rughal was buried there and afterwards, the Arabs used to stone his grave. However, I mentioned on the Story of Thamud that Abu Rughal was among the train of Abraha and that he sheltered himself with the Sacred House (Ka' bah) and when he came out, a stone hit him and he was dead. The Prophet (Peace be upon him) told his Companions: "As a sign on this, he was buried with two branches of gold". They dug and verily, they found them. To compromise between this and the narration of Ibn Ishaq I say: the later Abu Rughal had the same name as his higher ancestor whose grave used to be stoned by the Arabs. Moreover, the people used to stone his grave as they stone that of the former.

Ibn Ishaq said: When Abraha arrived at Al-Maghmas, he sent a man called Al-Aswad Ibn Maqsud with a cavalry dispatch. Al-Aswad seized some of the Arab's property which included two hundred camels that belonged to 'Abdul Muttalib, the Prophet's uncle, who was, then, the principal man among the nobility. Upon this, Quraysh, Kinanah and Hudhail decided to fight against Abraha, but they comprehended that they cannot afford that and thus quitted the idea. Then, Abraha sent Hanatah Al-Himiari to Makkah ordering him to ask about the chief of the people and tell him: "I (the king) did not come to fight against you, 1 only came to destroy the Sacred House. If you do not stand in our way, we will not harm any of you all. `Abraha added to his messenger: 'And if he showed his desire not. to fight, bring him to me.' When Hanatah entered Makkah, he asked about its chief and master. He was told: it is 'Abdul Muttalib Ibn Hashim. He saw him and thus delivered the message. 'Abdul Muttalib said: "By Allah! We do not intend to fight. Really we cannot afford it. This is the Sacred House of Allah and His Khalil (friend) Ibrahim (Peace be upon him), only Him Alone can protect it if He wills to." Upon hearing this, Hanatah said: "Come with me to meet with him (Abraha), he ordered me to do so." 'Abdul Muttalib set out for him accompanied with some of his sons till they approached the camp. He asked about Dhu Nafar who was a friend of his. He entered upon him in his prison and said: "0 Dhu Nafar! Can't you do anything for us in this plight of ours?" Dhu Nafar said: "What can a prisoner do while waiting for death to come either in the morning of at night? All that I can do is to send to the stableman of the elephant, Anis, who is a friend of mine to recommend you, say a good word of you, intercede for you before him, and to seek permission for you to meet with Abraha." 'Abdul Muttalib said: "That's enough with me." Dhu Nafar sent to Anis saying: Verily, 'Abdul Muttalib is the chief of the Quraishites, he is generous to both humans and animals and the king (Abraha) seized two hundred camels that belong to him. So, seek permission for him to meet Abraha and do whatever you see useful for him. Anis said: Surely, 1 will do. Anis presented himself before Abraha and then said: 0 king! The chief of Quraysh is here and wants to present himself before you,so give him permission to, please! Abraha gave his consent.

'Abdul Muttalib was very handsome and grand and when seen by Abraha, Abraha showed great respect and was highly impressed. So, he refused to make him sit lowly in front of him, and also disliked to let the Abyssinians see him allowing him to sit on his own chair (throne). Consequently, he descended from above his chair and sat besides him on the rich carpet. Then, he said to his interpreter: Ask him what does he want? However, Abraha was surprised to hear from 'Abdul Muttalib through the interpreter that all he wanted was a compensation for his two hundred camels, but did not ask him to leave the Ka' bah alone. When Abraha expressed surprise, 'Abdul Muttalib answered: "I am the master of the camels, whereas the Ka' bah house of worship -has its lord to defend it". Abraha said: No one can defend it from me. 'Abdul Muttalib said: You are on your own! Finally, Abraha gave him the camels back.

Ibn Ishaq said: It is said that when 'Abdul Muttalib entered upon Abraha he was accompanied with Ya'mur Ibn Nafa'ah Ibn 'Adiy Ibn Ad-Dail Ibn Bakr Ibn 'Abd Manah Ibn Kinanah the chief of the Banu Bakr tribe and Khuwailid Ibn Wa'ilah the chief of the Hudhail tribe who offered Abraha one-third of the properties of Tihamah district in return for his going back and leaving the Ka'bah alone. But, Abraha refused their offer. Ibn Ishaq added: "I am not certain about the authenticity of this!"

When 'Abdul Muttalib returned home he told the Quraishites about what happened between him and Abraha and ordered them to evacuate Makkah and move to the mountains. Then, he accompanied with some men stood holding the ring of the Ka 'bah' s door invoking Allah and seeking His Aid against Abraha and his troops.

Ibn Ishaq said: then, 'Abdul Muttalib let the door's ring and set out with his companions to the mountains seeking shelter and awaiting for what would happen next. In the morning, Abraha got prepared to enter Makkah, and got his elephant and troops prepared. The elephant's name was Mahmoud. When he was directed towards Makkah, Nufail Ibn Habib came near him and whispered in his ear: Kneel down Mahmoud and go back home safe, you are in Allah's Sacred Town. He let go his ear and the elephant kneeled down.

As-Suhaili said: this means that the elephant fell to the ground, as elephants do not kneel down. It is said: that some elephants might kneel down just as camels. And, Allah Knows Best.

Nufail Ibn Habib went away and climbed up the mount till he was far and safe. The Abyssinians beat the elephant forcing him to stand up to his feet, but he refused. They hit his head with axe-like weapons, but he refused. They tried their best to force him to stand up to his feet, but they could not. They directed his face back towards the Yemen and he stood up and ran thereto. They directed him towards the Sham (Syria) and then towards the east and he stood up to his feet and ran thereto. They again directed him towards Makkah, but he refused.

Thereupon, Allah the Almighty sent upon them birds from the seaside resembling hawks. Each bird held three stones: one in his beak and two in his two legs. The stones were like chick-peas and lentils, and none from among the Abyssinians was hit by a stone, but he was killed. Moreover, the birds did not hit them all. The rest of them fled away seeking the way they first came from and asking about Nufail Ibn Habib to guide them back to Yemen.

Ibn Ishaq said: the Abyssinians fled away while death pursuing them on every path and in every way and Abraha was hit with a stone as well. They carried him and his body began to tear up part after part till they reached San'aa. After a short while, his chest cracked (as claimed by historians) and he died.

Ibn Ishaq said: I have been told by Ya' qub Ibn 'Utbah that that year was the first in which measles, small-box, and bitter trees such as colocynth and African rue appeared in the Arab Peninsula.

Ibn Ishaq said: When Allah the Almighty sent His Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), He reminded the Quraishites with His Grace and Favor bestowed on them through defeating the Abyssinians and defying them saying: {Have you (0 Muhammad (Peace be upon him)) not seen how your Lord dealt with the owners of the Elephant? [The Elephant army which came from Yemen under the command of Abraha Al-Ashram intending to destroy the Ka'bah at Makkah]. Did He not make their plot go astray? And He sent against them birds, (Ababil) in flocks. Striking them with stones of Sijjil (baked clay). And He made them like (an empty field of) stalks (of which the corn has been eaten up by cattle)}.

Then, Ibn Hisham and Ibn Ishaq started to interpret this Surah and the next stated as follows: Ibn Hisham said: The word "Ababil" means "in flocks", though the Arabs never used that word before the Revelation of the Glorious Qur'an. But as for the word "Sijjil", I was told by Yunus An-Nahwi and Abu' Ubaidah that it was used by the Arabs to mean: solid and strong. Moreover, some interpreters claimed that this word was originally two in Persian, but the Arabs rendered them a single word that is "Sinj" and "lil". 'Sinj' means stone and lil' stands for clay and hard stones consist of these two materials, stone and clay. He added, “`Assf” stands for leaves. AI-Kasa'i said: I have heard some grammarians saying: "The singular form of 'Ababil' (flock) is `Abil'. Besides, many of our early scholars said: `Ababil' are flocks of birds gathering group after group from here and there.

Narrated 'Abdullah Ibn 'Abbas (May Allah be pleased with them): Their beaks were like those of the birds and their legs were like those of the dogs. In addition, 'Ikrimah transmitted: their heads were like those of the lions and they came from the seaside and their color was green. Also, 'Ubaid Ibn 'Umair said: they were marine black birds, holding stones in their beaks and legs. 'Abdullah Ibn 'Abbas (May Allah be pleased with him) said also: they looked like the Phoenix, and the smallest stone they carried was equal to the head of a human being and other stones were equal to camels. The same view was held by Yunus Ibn Bakir after Ibn Ishaq. Some interpreters said: The stones were too small. Allah knows best!

Ibn Abu Hatim said: Abu Zar'ah told us on the authority of Muhammad Ibn 'Abdullah Ibn Abu Shaibah after Mu'awiyah after Al-A'mash after Abu Sufyan after 'Ubaid Ibn 'Umair saying: When Allah the Almighty wanted to destroy the owners of the elephant He sent against them birds in flocks from the seaside resembling hawks, each one of them carried three stones: one in his beak and two in his two legs. They flew over till they were directly above the army, then they screamed and let go of the stones. The stones used to cut off or crack whom they hit from his head to his toes. In addition, Allah the Almighty sent a severe wind that hit the stones and added to their speed and strength, the matter that caused the majority of the army to perish.

Ibn Ishaq said as stated earlier that not all of them were hit by the stones. Rather, some of them managed to return to the Yemen and related to their people what had happened to them and to the whole army. And Abraha himself was hit with the stones and was carried till he reached the Yemen where he died, may Allah the Almighty damn him!

Narrated Ibn Ishaq saying: I was told by `Abdullah Ibn Abu Bakr after Samurah after 'A'ishah (May Allah be pleased with her) that she said: "I have seen the rider and stableman of the elephant at Makkah blind, crippled and asking the people to feed them up." However, it was mentioned earlier that the stableman was called Anis, but the rider was unidentified. Allah knows best!

In his Tafsir (interpretation), An-Naqqash mentioned that the flood carried away their dead bodies and threw them into the sea. At the same year of this great incident, Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was born. Some scholars say that it took place two years' prior to his (Peace be upon him) birth.

Then, Ibn Ishaq cited the poetry the Arabs composed pertaining to that great incident in which Allah the Almighty made victorious His Sacred House which He wanted to grant honor, dignity, purification and respect through sending His Messenger Muhammad (Peace be upon him) and the Legislation He sends with him. One of the fundamental pillars of this Legislation is the Prayer whose Qiblah direction would be made to the honorable Ka' bah. That which Allah the Almighty did to the owners of the elephant was never for the sake of the Quraishites themselves. As the Christians who were represented in the Abyssinians were really nearer to the Ka' bah than the polytheists of Quraysh, but the victory was granted to the Sacred House itself in preparation for the advent of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him).

Added Ibn Ishaq and others: After the death of Abraha, the Abyssinians were ruled by his son, Yaksum, then by his brother, Masruq Ibn Abraha who was their last king.

The incident of the elephant took place in Al-Muharram, 882 according to the Roman Calendar. Following the death of Abraha and his succeeding two sons, the Abyssinian rule over the Yemen came to an end, the church built by Abraha was deserted. No one could even approach it for it was built over the burial place of two idols -that of Ku'aib and his wife. The two idols were made of wood, their height was about sixty cubits and they were touched with the jinn. For this very reason, no one could take the risk to come near the church or to take anything of its building or ornaments fearing the evils of the jinn. It stayed deserted till the time of the first Abbaside Caliph, As-Saffah whom the news of the riches found inside the church reached. He sent his ruler over the Yemen, Al-'Abbas Ibn Ar-Rabi' to destroy it and bring him all the precious objects he might find there.

Finally, one should raise his hands to Allah the Almighty and supplicate, saying: "0 Allah! All the Praises are for You; You are the Light of the Heavens and the Earth. And all the Praises are for You; You are the Keeper of the Heavens and the Earth. All the Praises are for You; You are the Lord of the Heavens and the Earth and whatever is therein. You are the Truth, and Your Promise is the Truth, and Your Speech is the Truth, and meeting You is the Truth, and Paradise is the Truth and Hell (Fire) is the Truth and all the prophets are the Truth and the Hour is the Truth. 0 Allah! I surrender to You, and believe in You, and depend upon You, and repent to You, and in Your cause I fight and with Your orders I rule. So please forgive my past and future sins and those sins which I did in secret or in public. It is You Whom I worship, None has the right to be worshipped except You."

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: