Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Love of Learning  (Read 14349 times)
Yan

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:57:57 PM »

Hello everyone.  I'm interested in learning about Islam, the Quran and Arabic.  I know very little about these things, as I am an American and live in a place where there is little diversity.  I have spent many years studying religions and philosophies, and am very familiar with Christianity and the Bible - however, I don't feel that those two things go together very well.  I like the Bible very much, but my understanding of it leads me to feel certain that evangelical Christianity is an idolatrous religion and has nothing to do with the spiritual/God/Allah.  This is one reason I have been led here, because one thing I know is that Islam has Allah without associate. 

I use and am interested in the subject of health and healing through the spiritual and alternative methods, because here in the USA we are not entitled to health care.  I use food as medicine, as well as certain supplements, but not too many because they can be as harmful as pharmaceuticals when used excessively.

I look forward to exploring this forum and getting to know people, as well as learning about Islam.  I was doing research about changing one's name when converting, and noticed that a person is supposed to use their father's last name.  And that it is very important to do so.  This bothered me, because I don't know my father's name.  My mother and her family would not tell me, and put a false name for a father on my birth certificate.  I changed my name in court some years ago, because I didn't want to carry my mother's made-up name and wanted my own last name.  She was never married, but made up a name to pretend that she was.

~Yan~
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 01:21:39 PM »

Dear Yan welcome to forum.

On entering Islam one does not have to change their name, rather what is required is that he should not have a name that is ugly or carries a meaning that goes against Islam.

You can read more about this on the following link;

http://www.dailyhadith.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=519.0

Please feel free to ask any information about Isalm.
May God (Allah) benefit you and everyone on the forum with your presence.  Ameen

Yan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »

Thank you very much for the answer and reference, mabdullah.

~Yan~
Yan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 01:47:41 PM »

In beginning my study of Islam and the Qur'an, I went to Send a Quran/Book of Signs Foundation, which offered a free Qur'an translation.  The one offered is translated by Professor (Dr.) Syed Vickar Ahamed, and is only in English, but it is the one I have begun reading because the text is large enough to be comfortable reading.  I knew that I wanted a translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, so I ordered that as well, and also from eBay an Arabic-only authentic Qur'an.  Of course, I cannot read that one, but I hope to be able to some day!

I am disappointed in the one by Professor Ahamed, because just having started reading it, I found misspellings of simple words such as deity; however, I will continue to read this one first unless I encounter problems I can't tolerate - because of the easy-to-read text.

I have a question about the beautiful translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali.  It has English and Arabic, and wonderful binding that makes it comfortable and a joy to hold.  The text is very small, though.  I can and will read it as long as my vision allows me to.  My question is regarding what it says on the back of the book.  It says, "Not for Sale - For Free Distribution A Gift From Albirr Foundation UK"  However, I was charged by the Book of Signs Foundation.  I wrote to them about that, including the e-mail receipt, but have not gotten an answer.  Is it okay to sell books that are intended to be provided at no charge?

Another thing I have thought of is that Muslims refer to "People of the Book".  It makes sense to me that Jewish people would fit that category, but many Christians have no understanding of the Bible and it appears to me, no sense at all of Allah - because they have their idol Jesus instead.  And it is an unrealistic version of Jesus, one that they have created in their heads or been sold by others.  That idolatry is prohibited by the Bible.  I hear from those types of people that Muhammad is some kind of god also, because they have it in their heads that God must be a man.  Another thing that is directly rebuked in the Bible.  My question here is, who are "People of the Book" besides Jewish people?  How can these others I've described even fit that category?

~Yan~
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »

In beginning my study of Islam and the Qur'an, I went to Send a Quran/Book of Signs Foundation, which offered a free Qur'an translation.  The one offered is translated by Professor (Dr.) Syed Vickar Ahamed, and is only in English, but it is the one I have begun reading because the text is large enough to be comfortable reading.  I knew that I wanted a translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali, so I ordered that as well, and also from eBay an Arabic-only authentic Qur'an.  Of course, I cannot read that one, but I hope to be able to some day!

Translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali is  against teaching of Islam, please see the post reply number 14.  (previous message has been edited due to information I did not know before).

Link.         http://www.dailyhadith.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=695.msg2149#new

Very pleased to know that reading Quran in Arabic is your desire because then you can actually feel direct effect of God's words. God helps those who struggle in his path and makes it easy for them so I am sure that God will make it easy for you and hope that one day you will be reading Quran in Arabic (with will of God)

If you have any difficulty or questions please do not hesitate to ask.

My question is regarding what it says on the back of the book.  It says, "Not for Sale - For Free Distribution A Gift From Albirr Foundation UK"  However, I was charged by the Book of Signs Foundation.  I wrote to them about that, including the e-mail receipt, but have not gotten an answer.  Is it okay to sell books that are intended to be provided at no charge?

It is not appropriate for them to charge for Quran which is for free distribution especially if they charged for other than shipment charges.  Must write them and ask the reason. I have searched google and found email address of Albirr Foundation, please do write to them as well.

Adress is

Email: info@albirr.com

Postal:Albirr Foundation UK,
106 Church Road,
Leyton,
London,
E10 5HG.

Tel: 020 8558 1328,
Fax: 020 8556 3355

Another thing I have thought of is that Muslims refer to "People of the Book".  It makes sense to me that Jewish people would fit that category, but many Christians have no understanding of the Bible and it appears to me, no sense at all of Allah - because they have their idol Jesus instead.  And it is an unrealistic version of Jesus, one that they have created in their heads or been sold by others.  That idolatry is prohibited by the Bible.  I hear from those types of people that Muhammad is some kind of god also, because they have it in their heads that God must be a man.  Another thing that is directly rebuked in the Bible.  My question here is, who are "People of the Book" besides Jewish people?  How can these others I've described even fit that category?

Some information about this issue is as below;

"People of the Book consist of both believers and disbelievers, as indicated in the Qur'aan, where Allaah (exalted is He) mentions the disbelievers among them (interpretation of the meaning):

"O people of the Scripture!: Why do you disbelieve in the verses [about Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him)] of Allaah, while you (yourselves) bear witness (to their truth)". (Aala Imraan, 3:70)

And:

"Say: O people of the Scripture! Why do you stop those who believe from the path of Allah, seeking to make it crooked, while you (yourselves) are witnesses? And Allaah is not unaware of what you do". (Aala Imran, 3:99)

And Allah (exalted is He) said about the believers among them, making clear the difference between them and the aforementioned (interpretation of the meaning):

"Not all of them are alike; a party of the people of the Scripture stand for the right, they recite the Verses of Allaah during the hours of the night, prostrating themselves in prayer. They believe in Allaah and the Last Day; they enjoin what is right and forbid evil and they hasten in good works; and they are among the righteous. And whatever good they do, nothing will be rejected of them; for Allaah knows well those who are the pious". (Aala Imran, 3:113-115)

These people also believe in our Prophet (S) and the Quran which was revealed to him as mentioned (approximate translation of meanings is):

"And there are, certainly, among the people of the Scripture, those who believe in Allah and in that which has been revealed to you, and in that which has been revealed to them, humbling themselves before Allah. They do not sell the Verses of Allah for a little price, for then is a reward their Lord. Surely, Allah is Swift in account". (Aal Imran, 3:199)

The disbelief of the disbelieving People of the Scripture, that include Jews and Christians, in our times does not expel them from being People of the Scripture. "

(taken from Islam Qand A)

Best regards.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:23:21 PM by mabdullah » Logged
Yan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »

I appreciate the encouragement on learning Arabic.  I fully believe it is better to read the Qur'an in Arabic, for the reason you mention of spiritual power.  Thank you also for the explanation of People of the Book, and I will contact the Albirr Foundation as well, since the other website hasn't answered my question.

~Yan~
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 04:29:27 AM »

I will contact the Albirr Foundation as well, since the other website hasn't answered my question.

I also wrote an email to Albirr foundation and they replied as below;

"Assalamualaikum

Our books are distributed for free and are not meant to be sold. You can obtain a free copy of the Quran by sending a self-addressed envelope to us, please see our website for postage costs, (Albirr foundation's web address is in your PM, as they have requested not to publish their address."
I hope this will be helpful.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:47:43 AM by mabdullah » Logged
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

And in Allâh (Alone) let believers put their trust

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:32:17 AM »

Bismillahir-Ra7manir-Ra7eem

I'd also suggest you read the translation of Qur'an by  Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D. and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan. I personally prefer their translation to any other. I could provide yu with a link to a software which includes arabic text of Qur'an the transliteration and the translation in english which you can find in sha' ALLAH here:

http://imaanstar.com/quran.php

And there are some misprints but that's the software i guess, and still it's one of the best i think may ALLAH reward with all the best for their efforts.

You should try i think

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then, I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. Qur'an (2:186)
Yan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »

Thank you mabdullah and tasneem.  That imaanstar website looks very useful.  What is the difference between The Noble Quran and The Quran?  Is The Noble Quran more complete?  I see they are the same file size.  Maybe the second one is only English?

~Yan~
Yan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:08:06 AM »

I haven't downloaded either one yet.  I noticed that it is a .exe file, which makes me curious.  I was hoping it was a .pdf file that I can put on my Kindle.

~Yan~
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 02:38:58 PM »

What is the difference between The Noble Quran and The Quran?  Is The Noble Quran more complete?  I see they are the same file size.  Maybe the second one is only English?

Quran is only one and exactly same as it was revealed.God has given various names to Quran in Quran itself. Noble (in Arabic Kareem) is one of the many descriptions of Quran.

Below are some of the Names and Characteristics of the Qur'an

Allah the Exalted said, in describing His Book:

Allah has sent down the most beautiful of speech, a Book, (parts of it) resembling (others) oft-repeated. The skins of those who fear their Lord shiver from it. Then their skins and their hearts soften to the remembrance of Allah (Zumar 39:23)

Allah has named the Qur’an with many names and amongst them are:

Al-Qur’an (theRecital),  
Al-Furqaan (the Criterion between Truth and falsehood),
at-Tanzeel (the Revelation),
Al-Kitaab (the Book).

Allah has also given the Qur’an many descriptions in His verses of Quran and amongst them are:

Noor (Light),
Huda (Guidance),
Mau’idhah (Admonition),
Shifaa’ (Healing),
Rahmah (Mercy),
Mubaarak (Blessing),
Mubeen (Clear, Manifest),
Bushraa (Good Tidings),
Azeez (Mighty),
Majeed (Glorious),
Basheer (Bringer of Glad Tidings),
Nadheer (Warner),
Kareem (Noble),
Ahsanul-Hadith (the Best of Speech)

UmmOmar
Global Moderator

And in Allâh (Alone) let believers put their trust

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 01:07:04 AM »

What is the difference between The Noble Quran and The Quran?  Is The Noble Quran more complete?

If i'm not mistaken The Noble Qur'an exe includes the transliteration in case you can't read arabic that would be of help to see how the words are pronounced. Go for the Noble Qur'an in sha' ALLAH.

As for exe. file don't worry there r no viruses there in sha' ALLAH and it never created problems for me till now al7amdulillah i've been using it for around 4 years now from different OS. And software makes it easier for you to search, i.e. you're curious to find where the word WORSHIP is mentioned throughout the Qur'an so you simply type worship in the search box and it will give you the list of verses (ayahs) where the word is mentioned etc, you also have the option to add a verse or several verses in Favourites in order to review them later etc.

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then, I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. Qur'an (2:186)
Yan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 09:46:48 AM »

Thanks again for the explanation, mabdullah.

tasneem, so those are actually computer programs and not simply e-books.  Good to know.

I've picked out the books I think will be most useful to learn Arabic, and they aren't very expensive - I just have to wait until some money comes in to order them.  These are the ones, if anyone else is interested -

Easy Arabic Script by Mahmoud Gaafar $9.04
Read and Speak Arabic for Beginners with Audio CD by Jane Wightwick $12.89
The Arabic Alphabet:  How to Read & Write It by Nicholas Awde $5.49

~Yan~
fahima

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 10:22:31 AM »

ASSALAMU ALAIKUM VA RAH.............
URWA BIN MASOOD (RAL) IS THE ONLY COPANION OF PROPHET MUHAMMAD (SAL) WHO WAS VERY SIMILAR TO PROPHET ISA(ALAI)
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 11:05:03 AM »

I knew that I wanted a transllation ofAbdullah Yusuf Ali, so I ordered that as well, and also from
Translation by Abdullah Yusuf Ali is recommended by many although I myself find small text size of any book difficult to read.

Unfortunately I did not have full information about Abdullah Yusuf Ali , we must NOT read his translation as he rejects the teaching of Islam, please read more information on the link below,

http://www.dailyhadith.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=695.msg2149#new

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:47:16 AM by mabdullah » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: