Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Great Women of Islam  (Read 28600 times)
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

And in Allâh (Alone) let believers put their trust

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:07:51 AM »

بسْمِ اللهِ، الحمد لله وَالصَّلَاةُ وَالسَّلَّامُ عَلَى رَسُولِ اللهِ

I'd like to start with the biographies of the Mothers of Believers and some of the Sahabiyat (Women Companions of the Messenger (صلى الله عليه و سلم)), one of which has already been mentioned here by brother Abdullah -  Nusaibah Bint Ka’ab Al Ansariyah (Umm Imarah or Umm 'Ammarah) رضي اللّهُ عنها.

First let's start with the introduction to see the achievements and bravery of the women of that time. The material i'll use in sha' ALLAH is from a book called "Great Women of Islam, who were given the good News of Paradise" compiled in the Urdu language by a great scholar and a compiler of Islamic books, Mahmood Ahmad Ghadanfar, and translated by our Islamic sister Jamila Muhammad Qawi (from the publisher's note).

The Sahabiyat (Women Companions) were the noble women who were the contemporaries of the Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه و سلم). They were the pure, virtuous crusaders of Islam, and were honored during the very lifetime of the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم with the prediction that they would live forever in Paradise in the Hereafter. Their achievements and influence are found in every sphere of that momentous period in the history of the world, when the whole of humanity would be transfigured forever. They were as active in
religion as in politics, as courageous in war as in the peaceful and persuasive propagation of the teachings of Islam. These noble selfless women could be found in the battlefields among the foremost ranks of those taking part in Jihad. They were to be found in the political arena, in the field of education, in the courts of Islamic jurisprudence, in the interpretation of Shari'ah, I in trade and commerce, in agriculture, in medicine and in nursing. In short there was no sphere that did not benefit from their intellect, their wisdom and their gentle yet firm strength of character.

Religious Achievements

When the disbelievers attacked the Muslims during the Battle of Uhud, only a few devoted followers were left to fight with the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم At this critical stage the Women Companion Umm 'Ammarah  ضي اللّهُ عنها shielded him with her body and warded off the enemy with her sword as well as her bow and arrows. When Qaniah got within striking distance of the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم, it was she who bore the brunt of his attack. She had a deep wound on her shoulder, yet she continued to attack him with her sword. But he was well protected and she could not make a dent in his armor. Against Mussailmah Kaththab she fought so courageously that she suffered a dozen wounds and lost an arm.

In the battle of Ahzab (the battle of Trench), the Companion Safiyyah  رضي اللّهُ عنها displayed brilliant military strategy in handling the Jewish attack, and slew one of the Jews. In the Battle of Hunain Umm Salim رضي اللّهُ عنها set out to attack the enemy with her sword.

In the battle of Yarmook, Asma.' bint Abu Bakr, Umm Abban, Umm Hakeem, Khawlah, Hind and the Mother of believers Juwairiah  رضي اللّهُ عنهن  displayed extraordinary valor. Asma' bint Yazid رضي اللّهُ عنها killed nine enemy soldiers. In the year 28th after Hijrah, Umm Haram رضي اللّهُ عنها took part in the attack on Cyprus.

The Mother of the believers 'Aishah, Umm Salim and Umm Salit,  رضي اللّهُ عنهن  11 were among those who were very proficient at nursing the wounded.

The Sahabiyat usually accompanied the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم on his military expeditions and took part in battles both on land and at sea. Besides taking an active part in the war, there were many other
services that the Sahabiyat performed, like giving medical aid to the soldiers, nursing the wounded on the battlefields and providing food and water to the wounded and thirsty. Standing side by side with the soldiers they would hand them arrows, nursing the wounded and generally help to keep up the morale of the army. They also helped to carry the martyred and the wounded back to Al-Madinah. Umm 'Atiyah رضي اللّهُ عنها took part in seven battles, and fought during the rule of the Caliphs 'Umar Farooq رضى اللّهُ عنه, the women and even the children helped to bury the dead.

They spread the message of the new religion and through example converted many of the disbelievers to Islam. It was Fatimah bint Khattab رضي اللّهُ عنها who converted her brother 'Umar bin Khattab رضى اللّهُ عنه; he was to
become one of the bravest and most faithful of the Companions of the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم. It was Umm Salim رضي اللّهُ عنها who influenced Abu Talhah رضى اللّهُ عنه and it was Umm Hakim رضي اللّهُ عنها who convinced her husband, Ikrimah to accept Islam. Umm Shareek Dosiah رضي اللّهُ عنها very discreetly worked among the women of the tribe of Quraish to spread Islam.

Another aspect of missionary work is to preserve the religion in its pristine form, and protect it from any modifications, impurities and innovations that may creep in because of cultural or traditional practices already prevalent in society. This very important work of preserving the purity of Islam was performed by many of the
Sahabiyat; most prominent among whom was `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها. In the year 35th after Hijrah, when Caliph 'Uthman رضي اللّهُ عنه was martyred and there was chaos and confusion over who was next in the line of
succession, it was she who brought unity into the ranks by influencing the Muslims of Basrah (Iraq) and Makkah.

Leading the prayers and calling the Athan, or the call for prayer, is another important aspect of religious life. Although women cannot lead men in prayers, they can do so with assemblies of women. Many women contemporaries of the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم performed this task as well. 'Aishah, Umm Salim, Umm Waraqah and Sa'dah bint Qamamah رضي اللّهُ عنهن were some of the most prominent among these. In fact, Umm Waraqah رضي اللّهُ عنها turned her house into a place of prayer for women; the Athan was given there by a lady Mu'aththin for the women's congregation, and Umm Waraqah رضي اللّهُ عنها performed the duties of the Imam in leading the prayers.

Political Achievements

The Sahabiyat (Women Companions) played a prominent role in politics as well. Caliph `Umar رضي اللّهُ عنه  so valued Shifa' bint `Abdullah رضي اللّهُ عنها for her political intelligence and insight that he very often consulted with
her. He often gave her the responsibility of running the affairs of state relating to trade and commerce. Before the Hijrah (migration) of the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم to AI-Madinah, the disbelievers wanted to lay
siege to his house, it was Ruqayyah bint Saifee رضي اللّهُ عنها who warned him. The Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم then secretly left for AI-Madinah, leaving 'Ali رضي اللّهُ عنه asleep in his place. Vast political rights are granted to women in Islam. A woman even has the right to grant shelter to an enemy, if she so wishes. A historian, Abu Dawood relates that Umm Hani رضي اللّهُ عنها the sister of 'Ali رضي اللّهُ عنه, had given refuge to an enemy disbeliever and the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم said, "If you have guaranteed sanctuary and safety to a person, then
we stand by you."

This is the law of Islam that the Imam or leader has to stand by the guarantee offered by the woman.

Education, Knowledge and the Fine Arts

There are various subjects, an understanding of which are essential for a thorough knowledge of Islam and its tenets. Qira'at (the correct way of reading the Qur'an - elocution and enunciation) interpretation and commentary, Shari`ah, Fiqh, study of Hadith, all are important aspects of Islamic studies. Many of the women Companions were experts in these fields. `Aishah memorized the Qur'an as did Hafsah, Umm Salmah, Umm Waraqah رضي اللّهُ عنهن. Hind bint Aseed, Umm Hisham bin Harithah, Zaidah bint Hayyan; Umm Sa`ad bint Sa`ad رضي اللّهُ عنهن all knew portions of the Qur'an by heart. The latter used to regularly lecture on the Qur'an. In the sensitive interpretation of Hadith, all were expert, but' Aishah and Umm Salmah رضي اللّهُ عنهن were exceptional masters of interpretation and commentary. With the former, 2,210 Ahadith are associated and 378 with the latter. `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was an expert on interpretation and commentary due to her close association with the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم. Much of the Book of Tafsir in Sahih Muslim contains narrations from her.

Asma' bint Abu Bakr (sister of `Aishah), Umm `Atiyah, Umm Hani and Fatimah bint Qais رضي اللّهُ عنهن also had extensive knowledge of Ahadith.

In Islamic jurisprudence or Fiqh `Aishah's رضي اللّهُ عنها verdicts could fill several volumes. The same could be said of Umm Salmah's رضي اللّهُ عنها recorded verdicts. The invaluable verdicts of Safiyyah, Hafsah, Umm Habibah,
Juwairiah, Fatimah (the Prophet's daughter), Umm Shareek, Umm 'Atiyah, Asma' bint Abu Bakr, Laila bint Qai'f ,Khawlah bint Tuyait, Umm Darda, 'Athikah bint Zaid, Sahlah bint Sohail, Fatimah bint Qais, Zainab bint Jahash, Umm Salmah, Umm Aiman, Umm Yusuf رضي اللّهُ عنهن  could fill several volumes.
   `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was also well versed in the law of inheritance and many renowned and respected Companions consulted her on the finer points of the law.

Besides being masters of Islamic law and of the finer points of Fiqh, the women Companions had skill and ability in other branches of knowledge. Asma' bint Yazid bin Sakan رضي اللّهُ عنها was an expert in making
speech; Asma' bint 'Umais رضي اللّهُ عنها was famous for her interpretation of dreams. Several Companions were noted for their skill in medicine and surgery. Aslamiah Umm Matta'a, Umm Kabshah, Hamnah bint Jahash, Mu'aathah, Ammaimah, Umm Ziad, Rabi'a bint Mu'awath, Umm 'Atiyah, Umm Salim رضي اللّهُ عنهن were some of them, well known for their skills. Rufaida Aslamiah's رضي اللّهُ عنها tent, set up as a surgery with all the necessary instruments, was situated close to the Prophet's Mosque at Madinah.

Some of the most noted poetesses were, Sa'adi, Safiyah, 'Atikah, Bint Zaid, Hind bint Athathah, Umm Aiman, Kabashah bint Rafi`a, Ummamah Maridiah, Hind bint Harith, Zainab bint 'Awam Azdi, Maimoonah
and Ruqayyah رضي اللّهُ عنهن. A book of verses by Khansa' رضي اللّهُ عنها, the best known among them has been published.

Industry, Trade and Commerce

The women Companions also practiced the practical or survival skills as we know them today. Agriculture, business, trade and commerce, writing, editing, cottage industries like weaving, manufacture and designing of clothes - all these are mentioned in the Musnad (collection of Ahadith) of Imam Ahmad. Agriculture was not so common, but was mainly practiced in the rural fertile areas around Al-Madinah, especially by the women of the Ansar. Among the immigrants, or Muhajir as they were known, Asma' also practiced farming. The era before the advent of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم was known as the age of illiteracy, but some of these worthy women were highly educated and skilled in the arts of penmanship and calligraphy. Shifa' bint 'Abdullah رضي اللّهُ عنها learned to read and write even during these dark ages and was celebrated for her skill at this art. Hafsah, Umm Kulthum bint 'Uqbah and Karimah bint Miqdad رضي اللّهُ عنهن were all literate. 'Aishah and Umm Salmah رضي اللّهُ عنهما could not write but they could read. Both of them were blessed with remarkable memories and inquiring minds; and because of their close association with the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم; many of the authentic Ahadith originated from them.

Some of the Sahabiyat also ran businesses. Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها was a very successful businesswoman and used to send trading caravans to different countries. Khawlah, Maleekah, Thaqafiyah, and Bint Fakhariyah رضي اللّهُ عنهن used to trade in the oriental oil-based perfumes known as 'Itar. Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها operated a leather tanning industry. The daughters of the Ansar would compose verses and poems for festive occasions and sing. According to the Hadith narrated by Fri'ah bint Ma'auth رضي اللّهُ عنها, they recited their poems in the presence of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, who had appreciated their literary skills.

Umm Salmah رضي اللّهُ عنها used to recite the Qur'an with Tajweed, which was a difficult skill and much appreciated.
Thus there was no sphere of activity - social or cultural- that was not influenced and assisted by the presence of these great ladies. May Allah جل جلاله have Mercy on their souls!
Allah will be pleased with them and they with Him.

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then, I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. Qur'an (2:186)
tanzeelksr

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:15:30 AM »

A.A. This is very nice and informated. Thanks for providing this beautiful information. May Allah bless you.
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 08:33:42 AM »

Jazakum ALLAH khair

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then, I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. Qur'an (2:186)
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 03:42:37 AM »

بسْمِ اللهِ، الحمد لله وَالصَّلَاةُ وَالسَّلَّامُ عَلَى رَسُولِ اللهِ

Khadijah bint Khawaylid رضي اللّهُ عنها

Narrated Abu Hurairah رضي اللّهُ عنه Jibril (Gabriel) came to the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم and said, "0 Allah's Messenger! This is Khadija, coming to you with a dish having meat soup (or some food or drink). When she reaches you, greet her on behalf of her Lord (Allah) and on my behalf, and give her the glad tidings of having a palace made of Qasab in Paradise, wherein there will be neither any noise nor any toil, (fatique, trouble, etc.)." (Al-Bukhari)

The strength of character and noble qualities of Khadijah  رضي اللّهُ عنها earned her the honor of being greeted by Allah جل جلاله through his Angel Jibril عليه السلام.

An image of faithfulness, integrity, truth, modest good manners and nobility; generous, wise and understanding, nurtured in an atmosphere of wealth and luxury. She was the first person to have an abiding faith in the utterances of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم and to accept Islam as her religion and her way of life. She was blessed with the distinction of having been greeted with Salam by Allah جل جلاله and the Angel Jibril عليه السلام.
She was the first lady ever to be so honored. She was the first wife of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, and he did not marry again during her lifetime. They lived together in peace and harmony for more than 24 years. It was in
her house that the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم received the revelations of Allah  جل جلاله through the Angel Jibril عليه السلام. During the siege that Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم underwent in Makkah, in the Shi'ab Abi Talib, she was there by his
side, constantly supportive and sacrificing all the comforts of life.

When she passed away, the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم was heartbroken at the loss of a dedicated companion who stood by him during the most difficult period of his life. He personally supervised the preparation of her grave, and climbed down into it to check it out. He then lowered her body into the grave himself. Thus ended the life of the lady who was the greatest supporter of Islam in its earliest days. She who was the mother of Fatimah رضي اللّهُ عنها, the First Lady of Paradise, the grandmother of the beloved grandchildren of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, Hasan and Hussain رضي اللّهُ عنهما who are to be the foremost of the youths in Paradise.

'Abdullah bin 'Abbas رضي اللّهُ عنه narrated that one day the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم  drew four lines on the earth and asked his Companions if they understood what these lines stood for. They respectfully replied that he knew better. He then told them that these lines stood for the four foremost ladies of the universe. They were Khadijah bint Khawaylid,Faltimah bint Muhammad, Maryam bint Imran, the mother of the Prophet Isa عليه السلام, and 'Asiah bint Mazahim رضي اللّهُ عنهن (the wife of the Pharaoh). The, first named has the distinction of being the mother of all the believers, or practicing Muslims; the second Fatimah, the daughter of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم was given the glad tidings that she would be the leader among the women of Paradise. Maryam عليه السلام, the Pure and Chaste is the only woman to have given birth to `Isa عليه السلام, a Prophet of Allah without having been touched by any man.

'Asiah the long suffering and righteous wife of the evil Pharaoh had advised her husband to adopt the infant Moses عليه السلام . This was at a time when infanticide was the law of the land . All the newborn boys of the tribe of Israel were being murdered because of the prediction that one of them would finally overthrow the Pharaoh and destroy him. She not only nurtured him in the very palace of Pharaoh, but also was one of the first to accept Islam, as preached by Moses عليه السلام.

'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها narrates that whenever the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم talked about Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها, it was in terms of the highest praise. One day her innate feminine envy overtook her sense of decorum and she spoke in
disparaging terms of her, wondering why the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم missed her when he was blessed with a better, younger wife by Allah جل جلاله. This displeased him, but forbearing as he was, he just sighed and answered, "I have not yet found a better wife than her. She had faith in me when everyone, even members of my own family and tribe did not believe me, and accepted that I was truly a Prophet and a Messenger of Allah. She converted to Islam, spent all her wealth and worldly goods to help me spread this faith, and this too at a time when the entire world seemed to have turned against me and persecuted me. And it is through her that Allah جل جلاله blessed me with children."

Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها  was born in Makkah in the year 556 CE. Her mother's name was Fatimah bint Za'ed, and her father's name was Khawaylid bin Asad. He was a very popular leader among the tribe of Quraish, and a very prosperous businessman who died while fighting in the famous battle of Fujjar. Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها
 thus grew up in the lap of luxury. She married Abu Halah Malak bin Nabash bin Zarrarah bin AtTamimi. She bore him two children, Halah and Hind. She wanted to see her husband prosper and financed him in setting up a big business. But unfortunately he passed away. Some time later the young widow married 'Atique bin 'Aith bin 'Abdullah AI-Makhzomi, and she had a daughter by him as well named Hindah. But the marriage soon broke up on grounds of incompatibility. After this all her attention was devoted to the upbringing of her children, and
building up the business she inherited from her father. Her astuteness and business ability made hers one of the most widespread businesses among the Quraish. Her policy was to employ hardworking, honest and perceptive managers to deal on her behalf. There was no network of travel and communication as there is today and a lot depended on the integrity of the employees who traveled far and wide on her behalf. She exported her goods to far away markets like Syria, and her managers bought goods from those markets to be sold at home. Makkah being strategically located on the trading caravan routes and the centre of international trade fairs, was a very profitable market for the goods brought back. The managers would get fifty percent of the profit, and this was enough incentive for them.

Khadijah perceptive had heard of the integrity, honesty and principled behavior of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, and sent a job offer to him to head her trading caravans. He gladly accepted the offer and started working for
her. Khadijah sent him on a business trip; her old and trusted slave Maisarah being delegated to accompany and serve him. This trip proved to be an extremely profitable venture and Maisarah was astounded by some very remarkable scenes he witnessed on this trip. He was impressed and completely won over by the Prophet's صلى الله عليه و سلم integrity, strength of character, adherence to principles, his amicable dealings and his business abilities. On the way back from Syria, the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم lay down under a tree to rest for a while. Nestora, a Jewish monk, noted for his knowledge of religion and for his insight saw him and asked Maisarah who he was. Maisarah told him all about the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم and his reputation for honesty and intelligence. Nestora then told him that this man would be elevated to Prophethood in the future, as no man had ever rested under that particular tree but Prophets.
Tradition has it that Maisarah saw two angels bearing a cloud over Prophet's head to protect him from the glare and heat of the sun. He was stunned and overcome by a sense of gratitude that he had been given the opportunity of benefiting from the close companionship of this man soon to be chosen by Allah جل جلاله as his Messenger.
When he returned home Maisarah reported to his Khadijah all that had taken place on the trip to Syria. She was deeply moved and impressed, and started thinking of proposing marriage to Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم. But how could she express her thoughts to him? She already rejected several proposals of marriage from men belonging to some of the noblest families of the Quraish. How would her tribe react? What would her family say? And what was more, would her proposal be acceptable to this young, yet unmarried man of the tribe of Quraish?

As she pondered over these questions and debated within herself, one night she dreamt that the shining sun had descended from the heavens into her courtyard, radiating her home. When she woke up she went for the interpretation of this wonderful dream to her cousin, Waraqah bin Nofal, a blind man noted for his skill in interpreting dreams, and for depth of his knowledge, particularly of the Torah and the Injil. When he heard her dream, he gave a serene smile, and told her not to worry, as this was a very promising dream. The glorious
sun she saw descending into her courtyard indicated that the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم whose advent had been predicted in the Torah and the Injil was to grace her home and she would gain from his presence in her life.

After this meeting with Waraqah she became stronger in her desire to marry Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم. But she was still not sure how to go about it. One of her very close friends, Nafeesah bint Manbah knew of her
inclination. One day she told Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها that what was bothering her so much was not a major problem, and she herself would help her to solve it. She went immediately to Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم, and without much ado she requested his permission to ask him a very personal question. When he said he had no objection, she asked why he had not yet got married. He said he did not have the financial resources. Then she
asked him if he would be willing to marry a beautiful lady from a noble and wealthy family, who was inclined towards marriage with him. He asked whom she was referring to; when he learnt her identity he said that he was willing, provided she was willing to marry him.

Of course Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها was overjoyed. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم was then twenty five years of age and Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها was forty years old. (According to one tradition, she was twenty-eight). The two uncles of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, Hamzah رضي اللّهُ عنه and Abu Talib approached her uncle, 'Umar bin Asad, with the formal proposal. It was accepted and the date was fixed. The two families began preparing for the wedding. On the date that had been fixed, the families and friends gathered and the marriage was solemnized. Halimah Sa'adiah who nursed the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم in his infancy was specially invited for the wedding and traveled to Makkah from her village. When she left after the festivities, Khadijah presented her with household goods, a camel and forty goats as an expression of gratitude to the lady who had taken such good care of Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم in his infancy.

Khadijah was very blessed in the marriage, and had six children. First two sons, Qasim and `Abdullah; then followed the daughters, Zainab, Ruqayyah, Umm Kulthum and Fatimah رضي اللّهُ عنهم. They were wonderful, intelligent children and it was a very happy, peaceful and content household. But all this did not seem enough. Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم felt something was missing, and he was extremely restless.

UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 04:24:17 AM »

......He would retire for a month once a year to the cave of Hira to dedicate himself entirely to prayer and meditation. One day he felt the presence of another being who held him in his arms in a tight embrace. Then he loosened his hold and asked him to read; Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم answered that he was illiterate. But the person repeated the same act and the phrase again and again. Then finally he read these Ayat which are the first revelation of the Qur'an. They are from Surah lqra or Al-'Alaq of the Noble Qur'an.

"Read! In the Name of your Lord Who has created (all thatexists).  
                        He has created man from a clot. Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous.
                        Who has taught (the writing) by the pen. He has taught man that which he knew not." (96:1-5)

Then the being disappeared. This was such an awesome experience that the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم returned home sweating and shaking. He called out to Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها asking her to cover him with a sheet or a blanket. After lying down for some time he became a little more relaxed. When he had calmed down to some extent, he told his wife that he feared for his life, and narrated the whole incident to her. Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها, a picture of loyalty and serenity consoled him saying that Allah جل جلاله would surely protect him from any danger, and would never allow anyone to revile him as he was a of man of peace and reconciliation and always
extended the hand of friendship to all. He never lied, always hospitable, carried the burdens of others and helped those who were in trouble. These soothing and encouraging words of sympathy and understanding from Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها gave him immeasurable strength and confidence. She then took him to meet her cousin, Waraqah bin Nofil, who immediately guessed the identity of the being in the Cave of Hira as the Angel Jibril عليه السلام, the Messenger of Allah who had visited Moses عليه السلام as well. Waraqah who was very old wished that he could live to see the time when the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم would be forced into exile by his people. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم was very surprised and asked if his people would really do this to him. Waraqah assured him that it was typical of human beings that they would never appreciate or follow a Prophet who rose among them. As the proverb has it, "A Prophet is never honored in his own land." Waraqah added that he wished he were alive at that time and be able to help him. He added that if what he had been told were true then surely it meant that her husband was the Prophet of Allah whose advent had been mentioned in the scriptures.

The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم had six children from Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها - four daughters and two sons. The four daughters grew up to be faithful and courageous daughters of Islam. They were named Zainab, Ruqayyah, Umm Kulthom and Fatimah رضي اللّهُ عنهن. They all migrated to AI-Madinah, with the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم.
Zainab رضي اللّهُ عنها was married to Abul' Aas bin Rabee'ah and Ruqayyah رضي اللّهُ عنها was married to 'Uthman رضي اللّهُ عنه. When she passed away he married Umm Kulthom رضي اللّهُ عنها ; Fatimah رضي اللّهُ عنها was married to 'Ali bin Abi Talib رضي اللّهُ عنه. The first three daughters died during the lifetime of Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم, and his
beloved daughter Fatimah رضي اللّهُ عنها lived just six months after he passed away.

The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم had three sons, two from Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها, and Ibrahim, the third son from Maria Qabtiyyah رضي اللّهُ عنها. The first son was named Qasim and the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم came to be known as Abu Qasim. The second son, 'Abdullah was also known as Tahir (the pure) or Tayyab (the good). Both died in
their childhood and the disbelievers were overjoyed that the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم had no heirs to carry on his noble mission. The third son, Ibrahim was born from his wife, Maria Qabtiyyah رضي اللّهُ عنها. He also died in infancy. When he saw Ibrahim dieing, he gently picked him up and said that he was helpless and could do nothing before the Will of Allah جل جلاله.

'We know that death is inevitable and is a fact of life. We also know that those who are left behind will catch up with those who have gone ahead; if this were not so we would grieve even more for Ibrahim. The heart mourns and the eye weeps, but it is not fitting that we utter words which might displease our Rabb,
our Creator and Sustainer.'

On the day Ibrahim passed away there was a solar eclipse. The Arabs of ancient times were superstitious and associated these phenomena of nature - lunar and solar eclipses - with a great man's death. Many Muslims even started associating the solar eclipse with Ibrahim's death. But the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم  immediately went up to the pulpit and in his sermon said, 'Solar and lunar eclipses are signs of Allah. They never occur because of the death of any human being. When you see any of these offer Salat.'

His enemies now started calling him Abtar, the one who had no descendants, whose lineage was cut off. But, Allah جل جلاله had more lasting bounties in store for him. He then revealed to him the beautiful Verses of Surat Al-Kauthar, the 108th Surah of the Noble Qur'an.

"Verily, We have granted you AI-Kawthar. Therefore tum in prayer to your Lord and sacrifice. For he who hates you, he will be cut off." (108:1-3)

When the disbelievers saw that Islam was attracting more and more followers in spite of all their tactics, they had a meeting to decide what steps should be taken to stop the spread of this new religion. They decided to declare an open and total political and economic boycott of the tribe of Banu Hashim. This took place in the seventh year after the Prophet  صلى الله عليه و سلم declared himself the Messenger of Allah. This is also known in Islamic history as the Shi'ab Abi Talib.

It was so severe that innocent children faced starvation and hunger, and adults survived eating the leaves of trees. Yet the firm followers of Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم did not turn away from their true religion and they
came out of the ordeal stronger and purer than before.

Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها who had been brought up in luxury in her wealthy father's home now faced the economic hardships with patience and courage, which are a necessary part of any siege. Khadijah's رضي اللّهُ عنها nobility of character and conduct pleased Allah جل جلاله so much that He sent special greetings for her. This incident was
narrated by Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم to Abu Huraira رضى اللّهُ عنه and quoted in a Hadith of Sahih AI-Bukhari.
Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها was the ideal wife and mother. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم lived in her house which became a blessed place due to his presence and the fact that Jibril عليه السلام came often to visit him there with Qur'anic revelations. It became the centre of Islam, where the Companions and women Companions visited often to partake of the hospitality of Muhammad  صلى الله عليه و سلم and his wife.

After the Hijrah (migration) of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم to Al-Madinah, the house was occupied by the brother of 'Ali. Later Mu'awiyah bin Abu Sufyan رضى اللّهُ عنه who transcribed some of the Divine Revelations purchased
this house and built a mosque. Thus the site of the house of Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها became a place of prayer and worship for all time. She had been used to praying two Rak'aat of Salat (prayer), mornings and evenings
with the Prophet  صلى الله عليه و سلم, even before prayers were made compulsory by Allah جل جلاله. There is one incident recorded in history regarding this. After accepting Islam she became more contemplative and inclined towards worship; she found a blessed feeling of peace in prayer. 'Afif Kindi relates that 'Abbas bin 'Abdul Muttalib was a great friend of his and he used to visit him often in Yemen in connection with his business in perfumes. On one occasion when they were standing and chatting in Mina, they saw a handsome young man approach. He carefully washed his hands and feet and then stood respectfully with his arms crossed on his breast. Soon a dignified lady of noble bearing and a young handsome lad joined him. ' Afif asked' Abbas what they were doing and whether this was a new form of exercise. 'Abbas replied that the youth was his brother Abdullah's son, and the lady was his wife. She was a woman of great wealth and virtue, and an ideal wife
and mother. The lad was his brother Abu Talib's son. Muhammad had announced that he was a Messenger of Allah and had started preaching a new religion called Islam. In due course' Afif accepted Islam, but he always regretted the fact that he had not joined Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم and his Companions in their prayers and supplication on that memorable day in Mina, when he had first heard of Islam.

Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها passed away just three years before the Hijrah, or the Prophet's صلى الله عليه و سلم migration to Al-Madinah. She died at the age of sixty-five, having given almost twenty-five years to Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم and the cause of Islam. When Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم saw her in the throes of death he consoled her saying, Allah جل جلاله had so ordained it, and that the thing she was dreading, would prove favorable for her. Her eyes lit up and as she gazed at her beloved husband, and her soul left its earthly body. Her grave was prepared at a place called Hujjoon, near Makkah.
Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم stepped into it to see that everything was as it should be, and with his own hands lowered her gently into it. Thus passed away the 'Mother' of all Muslims, the one who had sacrificed her all for Islam. The same year the Prophet's صلى الله عليه و سلم greatest supporter and protector from among his family, his uncle Abu Talib passed away. Thus within the space of a few months two of his closest companions,  supporters and benefactors had passed away. Besides his personal sense of loss and bereavement, Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم was deeply disturbed by the fact that his work of spreading the word of Allah جل جلاله was faced with problems and obstacles. His uncle had protected him at critical moments with his influence and authority; his wealthy wife gave her all generously to the cause, and also provided great moral and emotional support. Her house was a haven of peace for him as she took upon herself all of the responsibilities of running the household and bringing up four young daughters. Whenever he was abused by the disbelievers she provided moral support and unflagging faith.

One of the ladies of the Quraish, Khawlah bint Hakim, visited the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم to console him, and saw his state of depression and grief and remarked on it. He replied it was only natural that he should be touched by her absence, as she had been a loving mother to his now neglected children; she had been a loyal and sympathetic wife who shared his secrets. It was only human and natural that he should feel her loss as she was there for him during his most difficult times.

A Companion of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم narrates that whenever any gift was brought to him he would immediately send it to some lady who had been a friend of Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها. 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها, a favourite wife of Muhammad   صلى الله عليه و سلم  says that whenever a goat was slaughtered the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم would send some meat to Khadijah's friends; when she remarked about this on one occasion he told her, 'I have great regard for her friends, as she has a special place in my heart'

'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها said she never experienced such a feeling of natural feminine jealousy for any other wife of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم as she did for Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها.

She also narrates that whenever the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم spoke of her he would talk at great length and praise her qualities, and pray for her forgiveness.

As Allah جل جلاله says in Surah AI-Fajr in the Noble Qur'an that it will be said to the pious - believers.

"O the one in complete rest and satisfaction! Come back to your Lord - well-pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing (unto Him)! Enter you then among My (honored) servants, and enter you My Paradise." (89:27-30)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 04:30:16 AM by tasneem » Logged

chakula

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:50:42 AM »

Salamu Alaikum,

My Allah s.w.t. reward you abundantly for sharing with us a nice article like this one,please keep it up.

Ma'asalam.
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »

wa `alaykum as-salam wa ra7mat ALLAH

Jazakum ALLAH khair

UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 12:17:20 PM »

سْمِ اللهِ، الحمد لله وَالصَّلَاةُ وَالسَّلَّامُ عَلَى رَسُولِ اللهِ

Saudah bint Zam`ah رضي اللّهُ عنها

The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم said: "Allah has commanded me to marry only with the women of Paradise."

The first lady to enter the household of the. Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم after the passing away of Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها was Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها - who was obedient and generous, and loyal with a sense of sacrifice. 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was very impressed by her simple and selfless nature. She was among the first to accept Islam, and also had the distinction of emigrating twice, first to Abyssiniah and then to Al-Madinah. Her life is a beacon for all Muslim women.

Her mother, Shammoos was from the tribe of Bannu Najjar, a branch of the Quraish; her father was also from a branch of the Quraish, Banu 'Amer bin Loii. She was married to her cousin, Sakran bin Amar, and then married the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم on his death. All her husband's brothers, Sohail, Sahel, Hatib and Saleet had the honor of being Companions of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم. Both she and her husband accepted Islam in its earliest days and they both had the distinction of migrating to Abyssiniah for the cause of Allah, joining the second band of migrants. They were blessed with a lovely boy whom they named' Abdur-Rahman. They
stayed in Abyssiniah for a considerable period of time before returning to Makkah.

One day Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها dreamt that the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم entered her house and caught hold of her by the nape of her neck. When she told her husband about her dream, he interpreted it to mean that after his
death she would marry Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم. Some time later she had another dream; she saw the moon descending into her lap. She told Sakran about this dream as well; again he interpreted it for her. His death was imminent he said, and she would marry the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم. A few days later he fell ill, and passed away. She was left lonely and it seemed as if there was no purpose to life.

One of her friends was Khawlah bint Hakim, the wife of Uthman bin Madh'aon. One day she visited the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم and  suggested to him that he should get married. He asked who he could possibly marry, who would be willing to take on the responsibility of his household and daughters.  On learning the identity of the lady the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم agreed. Khawlah was very happy that her suggestion was accepted and immediately went to see Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها and bring her the good news. When she heard of the proposal, she was overcome by the honor being bestowed on her. But she said Khawlah should also discuss this matter with her elderly father who was going blind. Of course her father was only too happy that his widowed daughter had been chosen to be the companion and wife of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم. Soon the marriage took place and Zam'ah performed the ceremony. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم gave a Mahr of 400 Dirhams to his wife Saudah on the occasion. Her brother  `Abdullah had not yet converted to Islam and was very upset and saddened by the news; he expressed his grief in a barbaric and uncivilized manner by throwing dust on his head . Later when he converted to Islam, he realized his mistake and how disgracefully he had received the greatest honor possible to himself and his family.

Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها was of course very happy, having moved into the house of Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها where prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم lived with his daughters, Umm Kulthoom and Fatimahرضي اللّهُ عنهما. She felt she was very fortunate that now her future was assured. She would often relate her memorable experiences in Abyssiniah, and talk especially about his daughter Ruqayyah and her husband, Uthman bin Affan  رضي اللّهُ عنهما and the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم would listen with great interest.

After the migration of the Prophet  صلى الله عليه و سلم in the company of his most trusted Companion, Abu Bakr Siddique رضى اللّهُ عنه to Al Madinah, where they stayed over at the house of Abu Ayyub Ansari, he sent Zaid bin
Harithah and Abu Rafi'a رضي اللّهُ عنهما to Makkah with some camels and 500 Dirhams to bring all the members of his family. These two trusted Companions reached there and immediately left for Al-Madinah with Saudah, Ruqayyah, Umm Kulthoom, Fatimah رضي اللّهُ عنهن. Umm Aiman رضي اللّهُ عنها the wife of Zaid bin Harithah and his son Osamah also were part of the caravan, which was put up at the house of Harithah bin No'aman Ansari رضي اللّهُ عنها on reaching Al-Madinah. During his stay in Makkah, the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم had married' Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها,who now came to live with him in his household.

When Saudah bint Zam'ah  رضي اللّهُ عنها became old she feared that Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم would divorce her and a settlement be made. Her desire was to be raised on the Day of Judgment with the other members of the
Prophet's wives, so she said she would entrust' Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها the time allotted to her. It was at this point of time that Ayah of Surat An-Nisa' was revealed to the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم.

"And if a woman fears cruelty or desertion on her husband's part, there is no sin on them both if     
              they make terms of peace between themselves; and making peace is better" (4:128)

'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was very touched by her gesture and they became even closer than before. Her heart was so pure that it was totally free of jealousy or malice.

Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها was a tall, healthy woman with a sense of humor. Ibn Sa'ad mentions how once she was offering voluntary night prayers, standing behind the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم. The next morning she told him how
his very long prayer made her fear that her nasal vein would burst and her nose would bleed! So she said that while in the bowing position, she held on to her nose! This comical image that she presented of herself made the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم burst into laughter. She was a very warm and simple person.

She had a slow lumbering walk because of her build and when she went with the Prophet  صلى الله عليه و سلم on Hajj she took special permission to leave for Muzdalifah earlier as to avoid the crowds. 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها who was also part of the group, later wished she had also left with her since she really enjoyed her company and missed her liveliness.

When Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها  first heard about the Dajjal  from the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم she was terrified. Being the simple person that she was, it became a hobby for the others to talk about it and frighten her and then laugh at her. On one occasion 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها and the Mother of the Believers Hafsah رضي اللّهُ عنها started talking about it in front of her. She was so scared that she immediately ran into a dark room full of cobwebs to hide from the monster. When the Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم walked in he found the two enjoying the joke. He asked them what was so amusing. On being told what had happened he called out to Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها to come out as there was no monster around. She came out sheepishly laughing at herself.

On one occasion, the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم `Aishah and Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنهما were sitting together and chatting. The former cooked a special dish and offered it to the latter. But she declined. 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was a lively young person, and threatened to force feed Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها And when she continued to remain serious, she actually splashed it all over her face! So this lighthearted gaiety and spirit of camaraderie was very much part of the Prophet's صلى الله عليه و سلم household. There was no malice and jealousy in this pure atmosphere. It was reflective of the pleasant ambiance in the household of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم where there was always a loving concern and affection for all. But when the call to prayer, or Athan was given by the Mu'aththin, the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم would immediately rise and leave for the mosque as if he did not even know the family members gathered around him.

The History of At-Tabari, Kamil of Ibn Atheer, and the Seerah of Ibn Hashim have recorded an incident that occurred after the victory in the Battle of Badr. The triumphant Muslim army was on its way back to Madinah with many prisoners; among them was Sohail bin Amr, the brother of Sakran bin Amr, the first husband of Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها. He was under the care of Malik bin Dakhtham. On the way he told his captor that he wished to relieve himself, and managed to escape. When the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم was informed, he asked the army to stop and ordered that the escaped prisoner should be captured or shot where found. The Mujahideen fanned out to search and soon found him, hiding behind a tree. His hands were bound together and tied to his neck; in this state he entered the city. When Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها saw him, she involuntarily exclaimed that he should have died a noble death, rather than live to see such a shameful day. She did not realize that the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم had heard her. He told her that she was stirring up the prisoner against Allah عزّ و جلّ and his Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم; how could the death of one fighting against the forces of Allah عزّ و جلّ be noble? She was very ashamed at this and immediately apologized, saying that she just could not take what she had seen and blurted out what first came to her mind. She said she was really loyal and obedient to the Will of Allah عزّ و جلّ and his Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم and was sorry if she was offensive in any way. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم
relented with a smile, and announced that the captors should treat all prisoners with consideration. The result was that the Mujahideen first fed the prisoners in their charge and then ate themselves. And ultimately, because of this kind treatment many disbelievers, among them Sohail bin 'Amr and his brothers, converted to Islam.

After the Prophet's صلى الله عليه و سلم Farewell Hajj, he told his wives that they should remain in their homes as it was the Will of Allah عزّ و جلّ

"And stay in your homes." (33:33)

Thus, Saudah and Zainab bint Jahash رضي اللّهُ عنهما did not travel after the death of Prophet Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم, and they stayed in their homes in Al Madinah, saying that they performed Hajj and 'Umrah in the company
of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم and would follow the command of Allah عزّ و جلّ.

Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها was extremely generous. During his rule 'Umar bin Khattab رضي اللّهُ عنه, sent her a bag full of Dirhams. She asked what it was, and on learning that it was money she was very surprised and said this was
like dates being packed in a bag! She then distributed the money among the poor and needy.

There are five authentic Ahadiith attributed to her, according to Imam Thahabi. She narrated how when one of their goats died they used the skin until it got worn out. Thus it is proved that it is permissible to use the skin of a dead animal. Similarly in the Musnad of Imam Ahmad the following Hadith is attributed to Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها. A man came to the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم and asked if it was possible to perform Hajj for his aged father, who could no longer undergo its rigors. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم asked if he would pay his father's debts if he had any, and if this would be acceptable. The man replied that it would. Then Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم  told
him that Allah عزّ و جلّ was Oft-Forgiving and Most Merciful and he should perform the Hajj on behalf of his father.

The Caliphs who succeeded after the Prophet's صلى الله عليه و سلم death thought it a great honor to look after the welfare of the Mothers of the Believers, and diligently did their duty to them. Saudah رضي اللّهُ عنها lived to the ripe old age of eighty. She passed away during the caliphate of 'Umar bin Khattab رضي اللّهُ عنه and was buried in Jannatul-Baqi'.

As Allah عزّ و جلّ says in Surah Al-Fajr in the Noble Qur'an that it will be said to the pious believers:

"0 the one in complete rest and satisfaction! Come back to your Lord - well-pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing (unto Him)! Enter you then among My (honored) servants, and enter you My Paradise." (89:27-30)

chakula

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:36:37 AM »

May Allah almighty rewarded you abundantly for educating your fals with so many things ralated to our beloved braves (Great women) contributors ranging from their character,attitude.calmness,sincerity,honesty,humbleness as well as commitment toward the development of the Relgion.

Ma'asalam.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:45:27 AM by chakula » Logged
Muslim Friend

Assalamu alaikum warahmatu Allah e wabarakatuhu!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »

Jazak Allah Khairun  Smiley
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 02:19:28 AM »

wa iyyakum jazak ALLAH

UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 04:39:29 AM »

بسْمِ اللهِ، الحمد لله وَالصَّلَاةُ وَالسَّلَّامُ عَلَى رَسُولِ الله

`Aishah bint Abu Bakr رضي اللّهُ عنها (Part I)

`Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها said: Angel Jibril عليه السلام brought my picture wrapped in the cover of green silk in his  (the Prophet's صلى الله عليه و سلم ) dream and said: "She is your wife in this world and hereafter." (Tirmithi in the chapter of Fadha'il)

A'ishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was the favorite daughter of one of the closest friends, Companion and associates of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, Abu Bakr Siddique رضى اللّهُ عنه. Several Ayat of the Noble Qur'an which were
revealed were associated with her, and she was justifiably proud of this honor. She was in an enviable position among the Mothers of the believers in that she was considered the foremost among them. Allah سبحانه و تعالى had chosen her Himself in the heavens as a bride for Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم; a portrait of hers, wrapped in silk, was brought to him صلى الله عليه و سلم in his dream by the Angel Jibril عليه السلام. He told him that he was to marry her, and she would be his consort in the life hereafter as well. She had a brilliant mind and a remarkable memory; and the distinction of being the source of the most Ahadith because of her long association with Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم. Her knowledge of the many branches of religion like Fiqh and Shari'ah, her wisdom in interpretation, her mastery of the teachings of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, her trustworthiness and integrity - all these qualities made her one of the most remarkable personalities of the time.

She was very tender-hearted and no needy person left her house empty-handed. The Angel Jibril عليه السلام personally greeted her. During her lifetime the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم gave her the wonderful news that she earned a place for herself in Paradise. It was while resting in her lap that the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم passed away, and it was her apartment that became his final resting place. Angels surrounded her apartment even during her lifetime and for all time the blessings of Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ will be showered on it, as it is in the centre of the sanctuary at Al-Madinah.

She said that there were nine blessings of Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ which distinguished her from all other women in the world except Maryam bint 'Imran, the mother of 'Isa عليه السلام:

1. The Angel Jibril عليه السلام had presented her portrait wrapped in green silk to Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم and told him that this was the picture of the lady chosen by Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ to be his consort both in this world and the next.

2. She was the only virgin to have become the wife of the Prophet  صلى الله عليه و سلم.

3. When the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم passed away, he was resting in her lap and was buried in her apartment.

4. Many times angels encircled her apartment with love and respect.

5. Very often divine revelation would come to Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم when they were lying together resting in peace and tranquility.

6. She was the daughter of the loyal and true friend of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, Abu Bakr Siddique
رضى اللّهُ عنه.

7. Ayat acquitting her of any wrongdoing had descended from the heavens from Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ, proving her innocence.

8. She was born a Muslim and had been brought up in pure a environment, and spent her formative years with the purest and best of creatures, the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم.

9. Allah, the Lord, the Sustainer of the Universe promised her Divine Forgiveness and abundant bounties.

************************

'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها had claims to noble birth from both sides of the family. Her mother was Umm Roman رضي اللّهُ عنها and her father was Abu Bakr Siddique رضي اللّهُ عنه. Umm Roman earlier married `Abdullah Azdi and had a son by him named `Abdur-Rahman. 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was born in 614 CE. Her father Abu Bakr Siddique رضي اللّهُ عنه is mentioned in the Noble Qur'an in glowing terms. He was a pure God fearing man, the foremost and staunchest supporter of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, whom he loved dearly, even more than his life, and thus `Aishah's cradle was the cradle of Islam. Abu Bakr Siddique رضى اللّهُ عنه had the honor of being buried next to his beloved leader and Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, in the sanctuary of Al-Madinah. He will enter Paradise
in the company of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم.

`Aishah's favorite pastimes as a girl were swinging and playing with dolls. Once on a visit to her father, Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم saw her playing with a winged horse; she was barely five years old at the time. He asked her what it was; she replied it was a horse. He smiled and answered that horses did not have wings! She promptly retorted that the Prophet Sulaiman عليه السلام had winged horses! This incident reveals several things about her - she was intelligent, quick-witted, well-informed on religious and historical matters - and at such a tender age! She had a  very good memory which never seemed to fail her. She hardly ever forgot something once she heard it. At the time of Hijrah, (migration) of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم to Al-Madinah, she was barely eight years old, yet she remembered years later even minor details about that historic and momentous move, when the first Islamic state was on the rise.

************************

She was barely nine years of age when she joined the household of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم. This was the time when he was grief stricken by the loss of his loving and supportive wife Khadijah رضي اللّهُ عنها. Both she and his uncle Abu Talib, had protected him against the most powerful chieftains of the two foremost tribes of Arabia. With their deaths he felt lonely and isolated. Then, he and his faithful followers faced the cruelest religious prosecution seen in history. When' Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها joined his household in Al-Madinah, she did not find herself in a royal mansion. A number of small rooms were constructed in the locality of Bani Najjar, around the Prophet's Mosque, and she occupied one of these, located on the eastern side of the Mosque. It was about six feet wide, had earthen walls and the roof was of leaves and twigs. To prevent the rain water from seeping in the roof was covered with a blanket. The roof was so low that a person standing upright could touch the roof. There was a single shuttered door, which was never closed; a blanket served as a curtain. Close to the room, on a slightly higher level was another small room, which Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم occupied on the one occasion when he had boycotted the Mothers of the
believers. A mat, a thin mattress, a pillow filled with the bark of trees, a leather water bag, a small plate for dates and a glass for drinking water were all the things in the room. There were none of the signs of worldly wealth and pomp, but this little room was filled with spiritual treasures.

The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم liked the lack of riches and material comforts; he often prayed that he should live and die in poverty, and be reborn on the Day of Judgment in the company of the poor and the needy.
Bilal رضى اللّهُ عنه was incharge of the arrangements and provided for the needs of the families of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم. It was he who used to distribute the annual supply of grain. At times it became necessary to even borrow money in order to fulfill their needs. When the whole of Arabia was under the authority of Islam, huge quantities of grain and cash flowed into the central treasury. But on the day that Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم passed away, there was not even food for a single day in his household.

'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها maintained this tradition of generosity and liberality right up to her last days. During the days of prosperity, abundant riches arrived daily, but she always distributed them among the needy by
the time evening fell. The most outstanding trait of her character was her innate magnanimity and benevolence. Her generosity was now well-known, and no beggar left her door empty-handed. 'Abdullah bin Zubair رضي اللّهُ عنه mentioned that 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها and her sister, Asma' رضي اللّهُ عنها were both very large-hearted and benevolent. They spent all that they would receive in the Name of Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ. The only difference between them was that 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها would collect a sizable amount gradually and then give it away in charity; Asma' رضي اللّهُ عنها on the other hand, would give what ever she had in hand. In fact she would even fall into debt to help someone in need. When asked why she took on debts unhesitatingly, she replied that if a person had every intention of repaying the debt, Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ would help him or her. She added she was looking for His Mercy and Help. On one occasion, at one sitting, 'Aishah gave away 70,000 Dirhams in charity for Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ and got up showing her empty handkerchief to
the people seated there. One evening she received Dirhams 100,000 from Amir Mu'awiyah رضى اللّهُ عنه who was in Syria and by nightfall the entire sum had gone to charity. Her maid reminded her that she was fasting and she should have kept something for herself. She asked her why she had not reminded her earlier. On another occasion, 'Abdullah bin Zubair رضى اللّهُ عنه sent her 100,000 Dirhams, and similarly they were also given away as early as possible.

One day she was fasting and a beggar came to her apartment and asked for some food. She told her maid to give the lady the piece of bread they had. The maid answered that there was nothing else with which she could break her fast. 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها answered curtly that she should help the hungry woman and the evening would take care of itself. By the evening someone sent her a dish of cooked meat; she said
to the maid that Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ had provided her with something even better than what she had given away. She owned a house which she sold to Mu'awiyah رضى اللّهُ عنه and gave away all the money in charity.

She loved her sister's son, 'Abdullah bin Zubair رضى اللّهُ عنه very deeply. He in turn loved her very much and always looked after her needs. On one occasion he remarked that her generosity needed to be restrained.
'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was very upset and angry when she heard this; she swore she would never to talk to him. She asked who on earth thought that he could stop her from spending in the way of AlIah عَزّ وَ جلّ. She asked how he could even dare to say such a thing. And finally, when she calmed down and made up with him, she freed several slaves as penance for breaking her oath.

'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was very tender-hearted, and broke into tears easily. On one occasion when a beggar woman carrying two small children came to her door; she had only three dates in the house. These she gave her; the woman gave one each to the children and started eating one herself. One of the children ate his share quickly and started looking longingly at his mother eating her date. The woman could not bear her child 's hunger and took the date from her mouth, broke it into two halves, and gave a piece to each of the children. When ' Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها saw this heartrending scene she could not control her tears.

chakula

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 04:11:14 AM »

Salamu Alaikum,

Interesting Story, more to come up.............................

Ma'asalam.
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2010, 04:11:33 AM »

بسْمِ اللهِ، الحمد لله وَالصَّلَاةُ وَالسَّلَّامُ عَلَى رَسُولِ الله

`Aishah bint Abu Bakr رضي اللّهُ عنها (Part II)

'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was a modest, pure, and pious lady, yet she could not escape the slanderous and malicious plotting of the hypocrites. In the month of Sha'aban (the 8th month of the Hjirah calendar) in year 5th of the Hijrah, Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم led the Muslim army towards Qadeed, and a minor battle ensued between them and the tribe of Banu Mustalaq. Several hypocrites were also part of the army during this particular battle. A few people were killed, but most were captured. The army was camped on the banks of a stream named Marisa'.

'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها, a very slim and petite fourteen-year old had also accompanied the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم on this expedition. She had borrowed a delicate necklace from her sister Asma' رضي اللّهُ عنها. On the way back when the army had camped in the desert, she went far into the desert to relieve herself. Suddenly she realized that the necklace had fallen somewhere along the way. She retraced her footsteps looking for it and luckily found it, but after a very long search. By the time she reached the camping site, the caravan left. Now the normal procedure was that the ladies, who were segregated from the men folk, would get into their litter (like a palanquin or howdah, but with curtains, and placed on camels for the ladies) and draw the curtains. Then the camel drivers would place the litter on the camel's back. Since 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was very light no one realized her absence. When she came back after her search to the camping site, she found the caravan had left. Fearless as she was she just lay down, waiting for her companions to return for her when they found her missing.

Safwan bin Mu'attal had the responsibility of checking the camp site for things which might have been left behind inadvertently after the departure of the caravan; at daybreak he arrived to find a figure lying down wrapped in an Jilbab (a cloak that covers the entire body).  When he saw it was a lady, he moved away after alighting from the camel, so she could get on to it. When `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها  heard him she woke up, and got on to the camel. He then walked leading the camel by the bridle.

In the afternoon when the caravan had just reached the next camp site to rest, they saw `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها arriving with Safwan bin Mu'attal. She got off the camel in front of all the people assembled there. Tills incident became the material for a scandal for the hypocrites, led by 'Abdullah bin Ubayy bin Salool. His intrinsic nature, his natural propensity for foul and wicked suspicions, made him indulge in slanderous gossip. The whole of Al-Madinah was flooded by this filthy talk that 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was a loose woman and her character was suspect. Hasan bin Thabit, Hamnah bint Jahash, and Mastah bin Athathah also joined the hypocrites in this mud-slinging. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم was naturally extremely disturbed when he heard this talk about a member of his household, and his favorite wife; but Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was blissfully ignorant of all this gossip going the rounds about her and Safwan bin Mu'attal.

One night when she went out with the aged mother of Mastah bin Aththathah. The old lady tripped and started cursing her son. 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was surprised; remonstrating with her and said that he was a
Companion of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم who fought courageously in the BattIe of Badr and deserved respect. The old lady retorted that `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was ignorant of the fact that he was involved in an awful and frightening plot; then she revealed what had been taking place behind her back to her. `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was appalled at the depths to which sheer willful malice can make a person fall. After returning home, she took the permission of Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم and went to visit her parents. They also
corroborated the story she had heard. She was heartbroken and started weeping. Her sympathetic and loving mother tried to console her, but she failed to stem the flood of tears. She told her that since she
was the favorite of Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم, the people jealous of her position had deliberately hatched this plot. She advised her to be patient and everything would be cleared up. Her father also tried to soothe her and calm her down. But this living image purity and integrity could not accept the fact that people could descend to such cruel depths, and life could be such a mental torture. After two days and nights of continuous weeping she fell ill. On the third morning her parents were sitting with her and trying to comfort her, when the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم came to see her. He told her very gently that if she erred she should ask Allah for His forgiveness. At this her tears dried up and, and she asked her mother to answer him. But her mother remained silent, sorrowful and tearful. When she saw that her mother was speechless she appealed to her father, Abu Bakr Siddique رضى اللّهُ عنه, to speak to Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم but he too did not say anything. Finally she spoke to her husband and said that if she denied she was guilty, nobody would believe her; but she was innocent and only Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ knew it. The best answer to these accusations was to quote the answer of the father of Yusuf عليهما السلام

"So (for me) patience is most fitting. And it is Allah Whose help
can be sought against that (lie) which you describe." (12:18)

She was so disturbed that even though she tried very hard, she just could not remember the name of Ya`qub, the father of Yusuf عليهما السلام.

At precisely this moment, the Ayat of announcing her innocence were revealed to the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم.
When the revelation was over his brow was full of beads of perspiration from the exertion; he then turned to `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها with a smile and started reciting the Ayat:

"Verily, those who brought forth the slander are a group among you. Consider it not a bad thing for you. Nay, it is good for you. Unto every man among them will be paid that which he earned of the sin, and as for him among them who had the greater share therein, his will be a great torment. Why then, did not the
believers, men and women, when you heard it (the slander), think good of their own people and say: "This (charge) is an obvious lie?" Why did they not produce four witnesses? Since they (the slanderers) have not produced witnesses! Then with Allah they are the liars. Had it not been for the Grace of Allah and His Mercy unto you in this world and in the Hereafter, a great torment would have touched you for that whereof you had spoken. When you were propagating it with your tongues, and uttering with your mouths that whereof you had no knowledge, you counted it a little thing, while with Allah it was very great. And why did you not, when you heard it, say: "It is not right for us to speak of this. Glory be to You (O Allah)! This is a great lie." Allah forbids you from it and warns you not to repeat the like of it forever, if you are believers. And Allah makes the Ayat (proofs) plain to you, and Allah is All-Knowing, All-Wise. Verily, those who like that (the crime of) illegal sexual intercourse should be propagated among those who believe, they will have a painful torment in this world and in the Hereafter. And Allah knows and you know not. And had it not been for the Grace of Allah and His Mercy on you, (Allah would have hastened the punishment upon you). And that Allah is full of kindness, Most Merciful. O you who believe! Follow not the footsteps of Shaitan. And whosoever follows the footsteps of Shaitan, then, verily, he commands Al-Fahsha' (illegal sexual intercourse), and Al-Munkar (evil and wicked deeds). And had it not been for the Grace of Allah and His Mercy on you, not one of you would ever have been pure from sins. But Allah purifies (guides to Islam) whom He wills, and Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower." (24:11-21)

Her parents were overpowered by a proud sense of relief; pride that their daughter had been honored with a Qur'anic revelation, and relief that she was acquitted of any wrongdoing. They asked their daughter
to rise and thank her husband, but `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها promptly replied that she was grateful to Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ for He had revealed Qur'anic Ayat in her honor. And these would be recited until the Day of Judgment. This episode is known in Islamic History as the Event of Ufuk.

After this incident the Prophet's respect for `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها increased even more. 'Amr bin' Aas once asked Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم who he loved most in this world, and he replied that he loved `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها more than anyone else. Then he asked him about the men folk And the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم answered that he loved Abu Bakr Siddique رضى اللّهُ عنه  the most. On one occasion `Umar  رضى اللّهُ عنه told his daughter Hafsah رضي اللّهُ عنها not to try and compete with 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها as Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم respected her and valued her very highly. One of the reasons for this was her mastery and knowledge of the decrees and articles of faith as well as her brilliant interpretation of Islamic law.

The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم loved to listen to `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها talking and always smiled when she spoke. He always tried to please her. On one 'Eid day there were some Africans displaying their skill with spears; 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها wanted to watch this sport, so the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم stood in front of her so she could
enjoy herself and not be seen. And he did not move until she tired of it.

Often just to entertain themselves they would narrate stories to each other. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم
 told her the story of a man called Kharafah whom the Jinn had taken away. 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها narrated a detailed story about eleven ladies who were friends and how each of them described her husband. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم listened intently as she spoke. But all this pleasant entertainment could not distract
Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم from his duty to Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ. Just at the moment when he was enjoying himself, the Mu'aththin's call to prayer would be heard, and immediately he would rise and prepare to go the mosque. 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها said that it seemed as if he did not even know his family or friends; the love for Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ had priority over all other affections and interests.

"How perfect Allah is and I praise Him. How perfect Allah is, the Supreme."
(سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ وَبِحَمْدِه ِِ سُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ العَظِيْم)

Another incident which brought the blessings of revelation occurred on a journey when `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was traveling with the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم. Her father and many Companions had accompanied them. They camped at a place in the desert and once again `Aishah's رضي اللّهُ عنها necklace fell off. Some of the companions were sent to search for it, but it could not be found. The Prophet  صلى الله عليه و سلم was resting in his tent, when the call for morning prayers was given. But there was no water for their ablutions. The Companions were worried about the morning prayers, and they said that `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was responsible for this predicament. Abu Bakr Siddique رضي اللّهُ عنه curtly rebuked his daughter for creating a
situation, which might lead to the Fajr prayers being missed. Exactly at this moment this Ayat was revealed to the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم 

"And if you are ill or on a journey, or one of you comes after answering the call of nature, or you have been in contact with women (by sexual relations) and you find no water, perform Tayammum with clean earth and rub therewith your face and hands. Truly, Allah is Ever Oft-Pardoning, Oft-Forgiving." (4:43)

Immediately the very same people who had been criticizing and complaining about `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها started praising her and expressed their appreciation and thanks for such a great favor Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ granted because of her. The noted Companion, Aseed bin Hudhair رضى اللّهُ عنه, said that the family of Abu Bakr Siddique رضى اللّهُ عنه had often been responsible for the many favors and blessings bestowed by Allah  عَزّ وَ جل. Abu Bakr Siddique رضى اللّهُ عنه himself who just a few minutes earlier had been rebuking his daughter, now was full of smiles. He said he had not realized until that moment how pleased Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ was with her, that he had revealed such Ayat which would be a source of blessings for the Muslim Ummah until the Day of Judgment. He prayed for a long and happy life for her, as she had been a source of great ease and comfort for all followers of Islam. After the prayer when the camels were ready for departure, the necklace was found under one of them.

By the ninth year after Hijrah, the might of Islam had spread over most of the Arabian Peninsula. The newly founded centre of Islam, Al-Madinah, had become a flourishing city-state. Some of the wives of
the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم had been used to a luxurious life style before marriage, and when they saw that there were riches and comforts to be had, they presented a request for their allowances to be suitably reviewed and increased. This desire of his wives for worldly comforts disturbed the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم. He declared that for one month he would separate himself from his wives, and he went into seclusion in the little room above the apartment of `Aishah. During this period he was suffering from an injury after having fallen from his horse. Naturally this caused a furor among the households. After 29 days he came down to `Aishah's apartment, and told her that she could make her choice after consulting her parents; either she could choose him and a life of hardship and near starvation, or she could leave him and lead a life of comfort and ease. `Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها had no doubt whatsoever in her mind; she immediately answered that both she and her parents would willingly sacrifice their lives for him if the need arose. She said there was no need to consult her parents and she would prefer life with him to the world and its attractions and temptations. A beautiful smile lit up his face. And then Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ revealed the following Ayat:

"0 Prophet (Muhammad SAW)! Say to your wives: 'If you desire the life of this world, and its glitter, then come! I will make a provision for you and set you free in a handsome manner (divorce). But if you desire Allah and His Messenger, and the Home of the hereafter, then verily, Allah has prepared for the good-doers
among you an enormous reward.'" (33:28-29)

After telling him what she felt about the matter, 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها very naively asked him to keep it a secret as she wanted to see what the others would say, uninfluenced by her decision. He told her, smiling
very gently, that he had been sent as a teacher and not as a dictator or oppressor by Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ. Finally, all the wives took the same decision as 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها and the wave of tension which had had Al-Madinah in its grip changed; and the same era of joy, peace and tranquility returned.

There are two recorded incidents when 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها herself saw the Angel Jibril عليه السلام personally.

On one occasion, 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها saw the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم with his hands on the mane of a horse talking to the rider. She asked him who he was; the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم sounded rather surprised and asked if she had seen him. Then he told her that it was the Angel Jibril عليه السلام in shape of a human and he requested that his greetings be conveyed to her. She prayed spontaneously that Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ should give a good reward to the honored guest and to his noble host.

Anas رضى اللّهُ عنه narrates how once the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم was praying in `Aishah's apartment, when she saw a stranger standing outside the door. She informed him, and he finished his prayers and stepped out. Who should he see but the Angel Jibril عليه السلام. Muhammad صلى الله عليه و سلم requested him to enter, but the Angel replied that they did not enter places where there were dogs or pictures. When the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم looked around he saw a puppy in a corner of the room; when he was chased out, the Angel Jibril عليه السلام entered.........

UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 04:17:28 AM »

`Aishah bint Abu Bakr رضي اللّهُ عنها (Part III)

**********************************

'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها attained a lofty status because of the knowledge and wisdom with which she had been blessed. She was consulted by the other Companions and women Companions on the finer points of
religion. Many of the traditions and authentic Ahadith originate from her. From among the many Companions associated with the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم, there are only seven noble ones to whom thousands of Ahadith are attributed. Among these are:

1. Abu Hurairah `Abdur-Rahman bin Sakhar Dosi - (5374 Ahadith)
2. `Abdullah bin `Umar bin Khattab - (2630 Ahiidith)                     
3. 'Aishah  - (2210 Ahddith)                                                             
4. 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas - (1660 Ahadith)                                                    رضي اللّهُ عنهم
5. Jabir bin' Abdullah Ansari - (1540 Ahildith)                                   
6. Sa'ad bin Malik Abu Saeed Khudri - (1540 Ahtidith)                     
7. Anas bin Malik - (2286 Ahiidith)                                                   

Imam Thahbi wrote that 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها was superior to all other women in her knowledge and wisdom. She was a theologian of the highest order. And he was just in his evaluation; after all she was born and
nurtured under the tutelage of a father like Abu Bakr Siddique  رضي اللّهُ عنه, spent her married life with the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم from a very tender age. She was an eyewitness to the problems and questions that the divine revelations answered. Her apartment was the centre where Ayat were revealed by the divine Mercy of Allah عَزّ وَ جلّ. Thus she was given the title of 'Horizon of the Ladies of Islam'

During the caliphate of the Khulafa-u-Rashideen (The first four caliphs after the Prophet; Abu Bakr Siddique, 'Umar bin Khattab, 'Uthman bin Affan, Ali bin Abi Talib رضي اللّهُ عنهم) her Fatwa was accepted. Once someone asked Masrooq if 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنهما had mastery over the Shari'ah laws regarding inheritance. He swore that he had personally seen revered Companions asking her questions about the finer points of the Laws of inheritance. 'Urwah bin Zubair رضي اللّهُ عنه), her sister's son often visited her to discuss religious issues with her. Other Companions envied him as he could freely approach her at any time to clear his doubts as he was the son of her sister Asma' رضي اللّهُ عنها, and thus her Mahram.

The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم loved deeply and respected her because of her command over religious matters and other praiseworthy qualities. On one occasion when the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم was ill, 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها also was not feeling well. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم said that if she died before him he would personally bathe her and shroud her and lower her into her grave and pray for her. She lightheartedly replied that it seemed as if he would celebrate her death; and she told him that in case she died before him, he should bring a new wife into her apartment. The Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم smiled at this; but it was during this illness that he left this world to join his Lord.

'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها narrated that she was proud that when it was her turn, in her apartment, in her lap, the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم  passed away. Her brother, 'Abdur-Rahman came in during his last moments with a Miswak (twig of a tree used to clean the teeth and mouth) in his hand; the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم  looked longingly at it. 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها understood what he wanted, and asked him if she could offer one to him. When he nodded, she took it from her brother; since it was hard she softened it with her teeth and offered it to him. He cleaned his teeth; and dipping his hand frequently into a bowl of water kept near him, he kept wiping his face again and again, repeating the words,

"There is none worthy of worship but Allah. Verily, death has pains."

Then he pointed upward with his hand and said,

"Toward the best friend".

Thus the soul soared up from the prison of the body.

Previously 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها had a dream that three moons descended into her apartment. When the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم passed away he was buried in her apartment. Then her father رضى اللّهُ عنه
 told her that part of her dream come true that day - the first moon irradiated her apartment. Later, her father was buried next to the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم and still later 'Umar Farooq رضى اللّهُ عنه. Thus, the prophecy of her dream was fulfilled.

Imam Thahbi quoted a saying of the Prophet صلى الله عليه و سلم that a Prophet's soul leaves its body in the place that he likes the best. Thus it is proven he died in his favorite place, the apartment of 'Aishah رضي اللّهُ عنها.

She left this earthly existence for Paradise in the year 58 Hijirah on the 17th of Ramadhan at the age of 66

"To Allah we belong and to Allah we return."

She was buried in the graveyard at Al-Madinah, Jannatul Baqi'. Abu Hurairah رضى اللّهُ عنه led the funeral prayers. 'Abdullah bin Muhammad bin 'Abdur-Rahman bin Abu Bakr Siddique and 'Abdullah bin `AbdurRahman bin Abu Bakr Siddique رضي اللّهُ عنهم placed her gently into her grave.

"O the one in complete rest and satisfaction! Come back to your Lord - well-pleased (yourself) and well-pleasing (unto Him)! Enter you then among My (honored) servants, and enter you My Paradise." 
(89:27-30)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: