Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: eyebrow  (Read 13296 times)
mother

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2009, 07:52:31 AM »

Is it haram to cut our eyebrow?
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

And in Allâh (Alone) let believers put their trust

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 03:50:35 AM »

as-salam 3alaykom sister

Bismillah-ir-Ra7man-ir-Ra7eem

I had that question as well so i found i wasn't alone in it  so here's what they answered on Fatwa Center of islamweb:

Praise be to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds; and may His blessings and peace be upon our Prophet Muhammad and upon all his Family and Companions.

Al-Bukhari and Muslim reported from Ibn Masoud that he said: The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) of Allah cursed those ladies who practice tattooing, those who get tattooed, those who cut the hair of their eyebrows, those who have their eyebrows hair cut and those who make up gaps between their teeth to get more beautiful changing thereupon the creation of Allah. this was reported to a woman from the tribe of Bani Asad called Um Yaqub , who went to Ibn Masoud , the narrator and said: What's the truth about a narration that was reported to me from you that you cursed those ladies who practise tattooing, …etc. Ibn Masoud replied: 'How can I (refrain from) not cursing someone the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) cursed…. This is a sound Hadith reported by the most authentic books of al-Hadith: al-Bukhari and Muslim .

Nevertheless, it is lawful for the woman to take from her eyebrows the hair that is disfiguring but not taking hair because it is too dense or not beautiful. In case, there is a removal of the deformation of the hair, it should be limited to the minimum necessary, not more.
Allah knows best.

fee aman ALLAH
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:43:20 AM by tasneem » Logged

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then, I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. Qur'an (2:186)
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 03:55:28 AM »

and here are the a7adeeth proving it :

Dress  
Bukhari :: Book 7 :: Volume 72 :: Hadith 826

Narrated Ibn Mas'ud:

Allah has cursed those women who practise tattooing or get it done for themselves, and those who remove hair from their faces, and those who create spaces between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, such ladies as change the features created by Allah. Why then shall I not curse those whom Allah's Apostle has cursed and who are cursed in Allah's Book too?

The Book Pertaining to Clothes and Decoration (Kitab Al-Libas wa'l-Zinah)  
Muslim :: Book 24 : Hadith 5301

'Abdullah reported that Allah had cursed those women who tattooed and who have themselves tattooed, those who pluck hair from their faces and those who make spaces between their teeth for beautification changing what God has created. This news reached a woman of the tribe of Asad who was called Umm Ya'qub and she used to recite the Holy Qur'an. She came to him and said: What is this news that has reached me from you that you curse those women who tattooed and those women who have themselves tattooed, the women who pluck hair from their faces and who make spaces between their teeth for beautification changing what God has created? Thereupon 'Abdullah said: Should I not curse one upon whom Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) has invoked curse and that is in the Book also. Thereupon that woman said: I read the Qur'an from cover to cover, but I did not find that in it. whereupon he said: If you had read (thoroughly) you would have definitely found this in that (as) Allah, the Exalted and Glorious, has said:" What Allah's Messenger brings for you accept that. and what he has forbidden you. refrain from that." That woman said: I find this thing in your wife even now. Thereupon he said: Go and see her. She reported: I went to the wife of 'Abdullah but found nothing of this sort in her. She came back to him and said: I have not seen anything. whereupon he said: Had there been anything like it in her, I would have never slept with her in the bed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:49:29 AM by tasneem » Logged

And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad SAW) concerning Me, then, I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright. Qur'an (2:186)
happymuslimah

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 02:54:55 PM »

im confused, once it says we cant PLUCK our eyebrows then it says we are not alowed to CUT our eye brows
so are we alowed to pluck them or not?

"O Allah! you are the turner of the hearts so fix my heart upon your religion" Muslim 4/2045
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 01:29:53 AM »

as-salam 3alaykom wa ra7mat ALLAH

@happymuslimah sis

i found fatwas in 2 more places (islamonline.com and islam-qa.com, i'll put the links in the bottom for u to check it.) Here's what they said (copy-pasting):

Plucking part of the eyebrows in order to look beautiful for ones husband
Can women pluck some of their eyebrows in order to look more beautiful for their husbands?

1. Praise be to Allaah.  

It says in Fataawa al-Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih al-‘Uthaymeen:

Plucking of women’s eyebrows is not permissible, it is the namas for which the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it. The naamisah is the one who does it for someone else and the mutanammisah is the one who asks someone else to do it for her (as mentioned in the hadeeth). The same applies if a woman does it for herself. It is haraam and is not permitted.

Allaah is Wise in what He decrees for His slaves. Some people are beautiful in appearance and some are not; the entire matter is in the hand of Allaah. It is essential to be patient and seek reward with Allaah, and not to transgress His sacred limits for the sake of one's own whims and desires.

What I think is that you should not remove anything from the eyebrows at all, unless there is hair outside of the line of the eyebrows, such as if there is a mole from which a hair is growing. This may be removed because in this case it is removing a kind of fault or deformity, not in order to look beautiful. And Allaah knows best.

See Fataawa Manaar al-Islam by Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him), vol. 3, p. 832.

Shaykh Ibn Jibreen said: It is not permissible to cut the hair of the eyebrows, or to shave it, reduce it or pluck it, even with the husband’s approval. This is not the matter of beauty, rather it is altering the creation of Allaah Who is the Best of creators. A warning has been narrated against doing that and the one who does it is cursed; this implies that it is forbidden.

Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid

2. Shaping the eyebrows by trimming, shaving or plucking their edges in order to appear beautiful, as is done by some women nowadays, is haraam because it involves changing the creation of Allaah and following the Shaytaan in his tempting of mankind to change the creation of Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Verily! Allaah forgives not (the sin of) setting up partners in worship with Him, but He forgives whom He pleases sins other than that, and whoever sets up partners in worship with Allaah, has indeed strayed far away.

They (all those who worship others than Allaah) invoke nothing but female deities besides Him, and they invoke nothing but Shaytaan, a persistent rebel!

Allaah cursed him. And he [Shaytaan] said: ‘I will take an appointed portion of Your slaves;

Verily, I will mislead them, and surely, I will arouse in them false desires; and certainly, I will order them to slit the ears of cattle, and indeed I will order them to change the nature created by Allaah.’ And whoever takes Shaytaan as a wali (protector or helper) instead of Allaah, has surely suffered a manifest loss.”

ref.: http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/21393/eyebrows and http://islam-qa.com/en/ref/2162/eyebrows
http://islamonline.com/news/articles/3/Ruling_on_cleaning_eyebrows.html

ALLAH knows best
fee aman ALLAH
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:47:11 AM by tasneem » Logged

happymuslimah

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 09:25:23 AM »

wa alaikumasalam
jazakallah for all that info, im not confused anymore!

"O Allah! you are the turner of the hearts so fix my heart upon your religion" Muslim 4/2045
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 11:57:57 PM »

wa iyyaki sis

UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:32:20 AM »

Bismillahir-Ra7manir-Ra7eem

This is due to the various questions about plucking, cutting, trimming, shaving or  even dying the hair of eyebrows which women ask very often. Even though there are very very few scholars that allow removing some DEFECTIVE hair of eyebrows (not more) the majority of scholars is of the view that it is HARAM and it's better to refrain from doing it since it engages the CURSE of ALLAH which means it's a major sin to do so.  The general reason is that it's changing the creation of ALLAH (sub7anahu wa ta`ala) and He is the Most Wise, the Most Knowing of His creations, so He created us in various forms and we don't know better what's best for us. As a sister said, how can we prefer a man-made shape over the shape created by ALLAH Himself (sub7anahu wa ta`ala) And i agree with her.

The question is if removing the eyebrows by means of cutting is allowed?

Praise be to Allaah.  

We will quote for you the fatwas issued by the scholars concerning the ruling on removing hair from the eyebrows and hair from the rest of the body.

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “If removing hair from the eyebrows is done by plucking, this is namas (plucking the eyebrows) and the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the naamisah (the woman who plucks eyebrows) and the mutanammisah (the woman who has her eyebrows plucked). This is a major sin, and women are singled out in this ruling because they are the ones who usually do this, for the purpose of beautification, but if a man were to do it he would also be cursed, just as a woman is cursed for doing this, Allaah forbid.

If hair is removed from the eyebrows by a method other than plucking, such as by cutting or shaving, some of the scholars regard this as being the same as plucking, because it is changing the creation of Allaah, so there is no difference between plucking, cutting or shaving. This is undoubtedly more on the safe side, so a person must avoid that, whether man or woman.”

(Quoted from Fataawa ‘Ulama’ al-Balad al-Haraam, p. 577)

The following question was mentioned in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (5/196):

A young woman has very thick eyebrows that make her look bad. This girl was forced to shave part of the area between the eyebrows and to reduce the rest so that she will look acceptable to her husband.

The Committee replied:

“It is not permissible to shave the eyebrows or reduce then, because that is the namas (plucking) for which the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the one who does it and the one who asks for it to be done. What you must do is repent and pray for forgiveness for what you have done in the past, and beware of that in the future.

Another question (5/195) was put to the Committee:

Namas means removing some of the hair of the eyebrows, and is not permitted, because the Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) cursed the woman who plucks her eyebrows and the one who has that done, but it is permissible for a woman to remove a beard or moustache, if one grows, or hair from her legs or arms.”

The hadeeth which says that the woman who plucks the eyebrows or who has that done is cursed was narrated by al-Bukhaari (4886) and Muslim (2125), from the hadeeth of ‘Abd-Allaah ibn Mas’ood (may Allaah be pleased with him).

The point is that it is haraam to remove any hair from the eyebrows, whether all the hair is removed by shaving, or some of it is removed by cutting. Anything apart from that is permissible, such as removing hair from the arms and legs, and the area between the eyebrows.

The following appeared in Fataawa al-Lajnah (5/197):

Question: What is the ruling on plucking the hair between the eyebrows?

Answer: It is permissible to pluck it, because it is not part of the eyebrows.

And Allaah knows best.
Islam Q&A

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/22393/eyebrow

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/search2/eyebrow/AllWords/t,q,a <------- here is all the list of questions on eyebrows
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 01:50:24 AM by tasneem » Logged

AMIE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 02:19:12 AM »

HAVING UNDERSTAND HOW A MUSLIM WOMEN SHOULD DRESS HER EYES, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THE COLOURING OF THE NAILS IS ACCEPTABLE IN ISLAM?

UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 01:39:15 PM »

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Sister, there's no ruling prohibiting it, but the only reason for not using it is its prevents water from reaching the skin and nails which makes your wudu' invalid. The scholars recommend using henna instead because this is what the women before used to use and it doesn't prevent water from reaching the nails.

Shaykh Muhammad al-Saalih ibn ‘Uthaymeen said on this issue:

I would like to use this opportunity to discuss nail polish, which forms a layer on the nails. It is not permissible to use this if a woman is praying, because it prevents the water from reaching the nails when doing wudoo’ or ghusl, and it is not permissible to use anything that will prevent water from reaching the skin or nails when doing wudoo’ or ghusl. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows…”

[al-Maa’idah 5:6]

So if a woman is wearing nail-polish which prevents water from reaching her nails, then she is not really washing her hands, which means that she has omitted one of the obligatory parts of wudoo’ and ghusl. But if she is not praying, there is nothing wrong with her using it, unless this action is one of the unique characteristics of kaafir woman, in which case it is not permissible because it involves imitating them.

And Allaah knows best.

It should be noted as well that it is not permissible for men or women to leave their nails to grow long and the maximum time period to leave them is 40 days as stated in the hadeeth:

the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The fitrah is five things: circumcision, removing the pubic hair, trimming the moustache, cutting the nails, and plucking the armpit hairs.” (Reported by al-Bukhaari and Muslim). According to another hadeeth, ten things are part of the fitrah, including cutting the nails. Anas (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) set a time limit for us to cut our moustaches, cut our nails, pluck our armpit hairs and shave our pubic hairs: we were not to leave it any longer than forty days.” (Reported by Ahmad, Muslim and al-Nisaa’i; this version narrated by Ahmad).
Fataawa al-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 1/474

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/9066
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/20226
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1195
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 01:47:17 PM by tasneem » Logged

Quadirey
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 10:33:15 AM »

Assalamu Alaikum. The use of nail-polish is Islamically permissible. Its permissibility is derived from those Ahadeeth which are related with the injunction(Hukm) on Wopping (Mash) meaning "to pass hands on inner boots (Khefaafs) or injury after wrapping it up into cloth or select parts of body at the time of ablution (Wudhoo)". Nail polish is a type of coating and hence is comparable with inner boots or "Mozas" and dressed injury or injury in the process of healing when it has a hard cover (crust) over it. Therefore a woman can use nail-polish freely after she has cleansed her nails well, and later on, whenever she performs ablution the water will pass over the coating and then "mash" shall complete the ablution, just as a Muslim do the mash of hands or head or more properly over inner-boots and still more accurately on the crust of injury or its wrapping.
UmmOmar
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 11:17:36 AM »

wa `alaykum as-salam wa ra7mat ALLAH

Where do you get the information from?? Please, post the reference.

Secondly, none of the scholars till now stated that nail polish is like Khuff, where u can wipe over them, and even Khuff has a time limit.
Unless you have your well-based proofs from saheeh hadeeth or fatwa of scholars stating your point of view, please feel free to post it to let us get acquainted with it, in sha' ALLAH

And ALLAH knows best
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 11:26:08 AM by tasneem » Logged

Administrator
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 09:58:22 PM »

Agreed, please post full references as none of us are scholars/muftis, and it is easy to make innovations due to old cultural beliefs.

Unless a view is referenced/verified please do not follow it until checked.

Allah knows best
Quadirey
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 02:58:40 AM »

Assalaam-u-Alaikum. First, Khuff has a time- limit but crust or bandage on injury has no time limit. Second, the answer in itself is self-explanatory so far as its references are concerned. The books of Hadeeth are full with Ahaadeeth related to mash(wiping over). Third, the issue of the use of nail-polish has been judged and researched scholastically and then question has been answered. And the answerer knows well what knowledge of fiqh, usul-e-fiqh and ilmul usul means. To smear everyone with innovationism is not a scholarly attitude. Islamic Usul of Mash as enunciated in books of Hadeeth and Faqh in compatibility with Hanfi jurisprudence has been applied to the issue and then answered. Therefore see the usul, demand of mentioning a reference to any mufti or specific scholars is irrelevant. Is this forum opened only to those who go to some mufti to find out an answer to their queries, and not for scholars whom Allah has blessed with power of jurisprudential derivation? Very strange indeed!
mabdullah
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 04:31:09 AM »

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Laypeople are not allowed to make Islamic rulings even if they think that they are "knowledgeable"or "scholars"

Rulings about Nail Polish are as below;

Praise be to Allaah.

If the nail polish forms an impermeable layer that prevents water from reaching the surface of the nail, her wudoo' is not valid unless she first removes it. If she wears something like henna that does not create an impermeable layer, then her wudoo' is valid.

Source: Fataawaa al-Lajnah al-Daa'imah, 5/171

(What is al-Lajnah al-Daa'imah ?,

“The Permanent Committee has  members from amongst the members of the Council (of Senior Scholars). Its aim is to prepare research papers ready for discussion amongst the Council (of Senior Scholars), and issue fataawa on individual issues.

This is by responding to the fatwa-seeking public in areas
of 'aqeedah, 'ibaadah and social issues. It is called: The Permanent Committee for Islaamic Research and Fataawa (al-Lajnah ad-Daa'imah lil-Buhooth al-'Ilmiyyah wal-Iftaa.)”

The Permanent Committee for Islamic Research and is an Islamic organization in Saudi Arabia that issues rulings in Islamic jurisprudence (fiqh). It consists of the most senior Sunni scholars of fiqh in Saudi Arabia.)

Praise be to Allaah.

One of the conditions of tahaarah (purification) being valid is that the water must touch the skin. If there is any barrier such as grease, paint, wax or glue that prevents water reaching the skin, then the tahaarah is not valid and prayers offered in that case are not valid.

The evidence for that is the words of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) to Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him): “If you find water, then let it touch your skin, for that is good.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (332); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.

Imam al-Shaafa’i (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If there is on him any mastic or anything thick that will prevent the water from reaching the skin, his washing of that part for wudoo’ is not valid, unless he removes it or removes enough so that he knows that there is no barrier to the water touching the skin. End quote.  

Al-Umm (1/44).

Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

If there is wax, dough, henna and the like on one of his limbs, which prevents water from reaching any part of it, then his tahaarah is not valid, whether the amount is large or small. If there are traces of henna and its colour left on the hand, without there being any solid material left, or elsewhere, or traces of liquid grease whereby water flows over the limb but does not stay there, his tahaarah is valid. End quote.  

Al-Majmoo’ (1/529).

It says in Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah (5/218):

If the colour is impermeable, then wudoo’ is not valid unless it is removed before doing wudoo’. If it is not impermeable, then wudoo’ is valid, as is the case with henna. End quote.

Hence this woman should have tried to find something to remove this nail polish, even if she had to go far away to find a place that sold it. She could also have removed it by using a strong kitchen cleaning agent or by rubbing it with a cloth dampened with liquid fuel, and so on.  

We do not think that this woman has any excuse for praying with wudoo’ that was invalid because of this nail polish. Ignorance may mean that she is free of sin but it does not make the prayer valid.

She has to repeat the prayers that she offered with wudoo’ that was invalid because of this nail polish.

We ask Allaah to forgive us and her.

And Allaah knows best.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 06:59:19 AM by mabdullah » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to: